Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Does Electro 4 have switchable voltage transformer?

Postby jon54 » 22 Jan 2013, 11:52

Hi - I'm considering importing an E4SW73 from the US (110v) to Australia (240v). The internal transformer of my E2 has a voltage switch, so I presume this feature has continued in later models. But just wanted to check. Anybody know for sure?
jon54

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Does Electro 4 have switchable voltage transformer?

Sponsor

Re: Does Electro 4 have switchable voltage transformer?

Postby mjbrands » 22 Jan 2013, 12:00

It's the same. Don't forget to replace the fuse :-)
mjbrands

Postby Frantz » 22 Jan 2013, 13:09

Great advice ! :thumbup:
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Cute James » 22 Jan 2013, 17:18

jon54, may I ask where you are planning to purchase the NE4 from?

I was considering doing something similar myself a month or so ago, and found Juno.co.uk to offer the best prices (no VAT charged).
I still haven't taken the plunge yet, largely because the NE4 is now available domestically...albeit for $300 more - even after you factor in delivery from the UK company.

Cheers,
James
x
My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.
Cute James

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby mjbrands » 22 Jan 2013, 18:45

Customs in the country you live may require you to pay taxes over anything you import above a certain value.

For example, in the Netherlands you have to pay about 4-5% import tax over the keyboard (let's say $3000) and you have to pay 21% VAT (BTW in Dutch) over both the keyboard (including the import tax) and the shipping costs (let's say $100). Additionally, the company who does the customs stuff will also charge you about $15.

Given the amounts above, it would probably cost about $3900 to $3950 to import that keyboard in the Netherlands.

If you factor in additional costs like that, is a locally sourced one still a lot more expensive? Remember that you won't have (hardware) support on the one you bought in the US, unless you send it back to the US for repairs.
Last edited by mjbrands on 22 Jan 2013, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
mjbrands

Postby Mr_-G- » 22 Jan 2013, 21:38

Completely agree with mjbrands... let's hope not, but you might need to use the guarantee.
What do you do then? Transatlantic service to Pablo? :) It becomes all a bit complicated with going in and out and customs and packing, insurance...
Remember the "no fuse" story not log ago. :( Sure if you buy new, that won't happen, but again... we heard recently of a not-well treated Nord in a plane too.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby jon54 » 23 Jan 2013, 02:24

Thanks for the input everyone
* fuse - should the replacement be double the resistance (thinking back to high-school electricity!) V=IR double the voltage, so double the resistance to maintain the same current.
* import and freight costs - yep, I've factored those in. Would work out slightly cheaper than local retail, but remember, there will be no local stock for a further 6 months. My local store received one 4D61 and one 4HP73. and that's it for 6 months. The SW had not even been released but that's the baby that will suit me best (most like my NE2)
* James - eBay seller gigasonic-outlet is the only one I've looked at. I'll probably contact a couple of stores too such as Sweetwater.com

Basically the money is available and my wife has given the thumbs-up! In 6 months, who knows?
Last edited by jon54 on 23 Jan 2013, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
jon54

Postby Darren » 23 Jan 2013, 15:25

No! If you double the voltage, you need half the current in order to achieve the same output power (Watts).

Back to school for you I think lol!
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Wave, CME UF60, Studiologic VMK 161 Plus Organ, Roland Juno G, Yamaha P200, Yamaha TG77, Roland U-220, Kawai K3M, Roland Juno 60, Fender Rhodes Stage 73
Darren
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Cute James » 23 Jan 2013, 16:46

Very good point mjbrands. I haven't factored Japanese import tax into my calculations yet, partly because I haven't quite been in the position to buy.
Now a month or so later, the NE4SW73 is available domestically, so purchasing from a local (albeit in another city) retailer is starting to make much more sense.

Still need to figure out what to do with me NE3 though...

James
x
My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.
Cute James

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby mjbrands » 23 Jan 2013, 19:56

jon54 wrote:* fuse - should the replacement be double the resistance (thinking back to high-school electricity!) V=IR double the voltage, so double the resistance to maintain the same current.

The Nord website doesn't list a number of the E4 SW73, but I think it will use about 25 watts (or less) of power.

I think the stock fuse of for the US will be 250 mA, but it might also be 300. Anyway, 250 mA at 115 volt will give you a maximum of about 29 watt and a 300 mA fuse will give you about 35 watt. If you convert it to 230 volt (or 240 for Australia), a 125 mA fuse would give you 30 watts and a 150 mA one 36 watts. I'd start with a 125 mA one, but you could also go for the 150 mA one.

Either case, you'll need a 'slow blow' fuse - when you turn the keyboard on it will use more than the maximum rating of the fuse for a very short time (capacitors charging, etc). Slow blow fuses are designed to allow for that; fast acting ones may blow (won't damage your Nord, but you'll have to replace it). The fuse us meant to protect both you and your Nord; if it suddenly starts to want to use 50 watts (just an arbitrary number), something is wrong and a blowing fuse can prevent further damage.
mjbrands

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum