The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Youtube B3/C2D/4D comparison

Postby HwyStar » 10 Dec 2012, 21:03

The three organs compared against each other using the same Leslie on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUyKdT8Numw&feature=em-subs_digest&list=TLvCUzX9UDYME
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Youtube B3/C2D/4D comparison

Sponsor

Re: Youtube B3/C2D/4D comparison

Postby freejazzer2 » 12 Dec 2012, 01:35

I think the most challenge ist to get a good clean sound, when the overdrive comes from the leslie it will just sound good.
i tried the nord c2d ( which i think is, except the rotary emulation, the same as the nord electro 4d )
the hammond xk1
and a real hammond b3
on a 122 Leslie.
The Nord hast really great jimmy sound, great percussion and chorusvibrato
But the high drawbars are kind of thin and loud and in fast mode with all stops you hear youre playing an emulation.
The Hammond XK is different, the high registers sound very sweet, never sharp, but the 16 and 5 2/3 sounds powerless. So you get very gut whistling sounds
And also it has a very screamy attack almost like percussion.
So the B3 could all sounds great, for sure.
So i think the Nord is best with the emulation Leslie and Rock and Jazz Playing, the Hammond XK1 is great for Gospel, Pop and Soul with a leslie.
Got almost the same result when playing over a motionsound pro 145, but the xk1 is much more charming for this kind of leslie.
Just my personal opionen, anyone would say the same?
freejazzer2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby dynanord » 13 Dec 2012, 22:07

Hey. I´ve watched this video a few days ago. Surely they sound very similar to each other but the room was too big with too much hall for a true comparison. I´ve played and owned a SK1 for a half year which was sounding very good but sharp and shrill especially when using the percussion. What I liked at the SK1 was the leakage of the vintage models, the keyclick and the bass which was really making my KRK subwoofer jump, jump, jump, everybody... :)
I sold the SK for kissing around with another clone, the C2, and I´m glad to have done it. In the lower octaves the SK is really Jimmy or Booker but in the higher octaves I had to be careful to avoid some pain. The Nord stays smoove in the upper region and I´m thankful for it. I have a Hohner ORT 100 Leslie clone and a 2tube preamp. I had an XK1 also and I loved its sound but hated the low quality of construction. Before the SK I had the Numa organ, its sound was not my favourite because it felt kind of not alive. I really like the C2 and feel good when I play it. Peace.

The author dynanord was thanked by:
Mooser
dynanord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby RevvDon » 14 Dec 2012, 01:32

Dynacord,
Which vintage setting do you use on your C2. I use v3 oor v2 and they can still sound a little harsh, even through my 3300. Also the chorus seems to accentuate the key click a bit too much? I'm really interested in a smoother/warmer sound.
RevvDon

Postby dynanord » 14 Dec 2012, 09:08

Hey RevvDon!
I warm up my C2 through a tube-preamp called "ORGAN DRIVE" by TubeAmpManufactur in Berlin. My setup in the C2 is vintage 3, max. or medium keyclick- it doesn´t really matter. The 3300 has tubes also I think, but at my preamp I can easily justify the grade of warmness/saturation/drive. Yeah, I know what you mean by talking about harshness, it´s a frequency thing I guess. Some people eq their C2 and lower the highs- I don´t feel that I got to do this. Don´t think I am endorsed or payed for doing promo for this preamp - no, I bought mine 2nd hand on ebay - and I love it. :D

All clones and even the original ( I think ) bring up the highs and emphasize the clicks when using the chorusses (in the SK this factor was editable).
Last edited by dynanord on 14 Dec 2012, 09:17, edited 2 times in total.
dynanord

Postby Mooser » 14 Dec 2012, 22:22

I did not know about the Hohner rotary speaker! That looks interesting.
Mooser

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum