General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage EX with sequencer

Postby brucecoughlin » 10 Apr 2011, 08:22

This is probably an idiotic question but I'm having trouble figuring it out. And it will also apply to how to use the STAGE EX in live performance when a computer (running Mainstage) is doing patch changes. Here's my problem:

How do I set up either the Stage EX or my sequencer to simply record different factory programs on the EX? The problem is that Panel A and Panel B have different MIDI channels. So if a patch JUST uses Panel A I'm fine. I record on MIDI channel 1. If it's a sound that ONLY uses Panel B I'm fine recording on MIDI channel 2. But what about all those great dual panel sounds where it requires MIDI channel 1 and 2???

Now for those sounds I could set Panel A and B to the same MIDI channel, but then if I switch to a patch that has a P-A (Panel-A) patch and a completely different P-B patch then that messes up those sounds because both panels sound at once.

I really don't want to have to reconfigure my sequencer every time I change patches. Plus I'm worried about using the Stage EX with computer patch changes. It seems like my only solution for live playing would be to delete all the Panel B patches that are completely different from the Panel A patches and always to send to MIDI channels 1 and 2. That way if it's JUST a P-A sound P-B will make no sound even though it's receiving MIDI information. And the dual panel sounds will get both channels.

Does this make sense? Is there a simple answer to this?

Thanks
Last edited by brucecoughlin on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
brucecoughlin

Stage EX with sequencer

Sponsor

Re: Stage EX with sequencer

Postby cleito » 10 Apr 2011, 15:01

Hi,
I don't know a lot about MIDI but, can you put Panel A and B in the same MIDI channel?
Last edited by cleito on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
cleito

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby brucecoughlin » 10 Apr 2011, 15:26

You can, but as I said in my original post then you encounter patches (Like Bank 1 Patch 1) where Panel A is one patch and Panel B is a totally separate patch (In B1 P1 Grand Lady there is a piano on Panel A and a separate patch of piano + pad on the other). If you assign A and B to the same MIDI channel then through a sequencer that patch will play both panels at once.... not the original programmer's intention at all.

It makes it very hard to flip through patches and audition things through a sequencer. And constantly flipping back and forth between Panel B = MIDI CH 1 and Panel B = MIDI CH 2 will drive me crazy.... and even then I'd have to look at the panel lights for every patch to see if there are separate panels or dual panels in a particular patch.

Obviously this is all with LOCAL OFF at the keyboard (which it needs to be through a sequencer).
Last edited by brucecoughlin on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
brucecoughlin

Postby evertoric » 25 Apr 2011, 12:12

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum. SInce a few days I am proud owner of a NS2. I would like to echo what brucecoughlin asked. Has anyone of the pros a suggestion of how to resolve this issue?

Many thanks
Last edited by evertoric on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
evertoric

Return to Nord Stage Forum