Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

MIDI out

Postby keysmcgee » 08 Nov 2012, 18:18

Hey, All. I've got one setup that uses a NE3 and NP2. I only use the NE3 for organ, and play pianos and EP's on the NP2. However, i do send MIDI from the NP2 to NE3 on channel 2 so that i can use the NP2 as a lower manual.

Question is - is there any way to disable the MIDI out on the NP2 for certain presets? For example - when i am playing a piano patch on the NP2, i will also have the NE3 lower manual playing, unless i change the NE3 to a non-organ preset (or turn off the volume on the NE3).

Am i describing this clearly?

Thanks!!
Last edited by keysmcgee on 08 Nov 2012, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
-Stephen

DISCLAIMER - professionally affiliated with Fulcrum Acoustic
keysmcgee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

MIDI out

Sponsor

Re: MIDI out

Postby mjbrands » 08 Nov 2012, 22:35

keysmcgee wrote:Am i describing this clearly?

I think so, yes.

I don't really see a way to do this out-of-the-box; maybe create a silent program on the NE3, so that when you change programs on the NP2 and choose that particular program, the corresponding silent program on the NE3 gets selected. Vice versa, you could create a silent program on the NP2 that has a corresponding organ sound on the NE3.

Something that would also work is an especially prepared MIDI cable. Specifically, you could include a switch in the cable (possibly a foot switch, but that is more complex). Using that switch you would be able to make it impossible for the NP2 to send MIDI to the NE3.

Hopefully someone else has some awesome idea that doesn't include hacking a MIDI cable :D
mjbrands

Postby pablomastodon » 09 Nov 2012, 08:32

Hi Keys (any relation to Bobby?),

What you can do fairly easily is enter the NP2's Midi Menu and change the midi channel (to any of the other 30 channels available) when you need to give the lower manual setup a rest and then change it back to 2 when you're ready to hit it again.

If you have no need of editing NP2 panel controls during those tunes, you don't even need to exit the menu

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby keysmcgee » 09 Nov 2012, 16:42

Thanks, guys, for the suggestion. First thing - no relation to Bobby. Although, I HAVE been busted flat in Baton Rouge before....

On the MIDI question - guess that there is nothing obvious that i've missed. I'll probably just go with the most straight-forward approach which, for me, would be a simple counter-clockwise twist on the master volume knob on the NE3. That should solve it!!

Thanks again!
-Stephen

DISCLAIMER - professionally affiliated with Fulcrum Acoustic
keysmcgee

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum