The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Organ Bench Advice please- PK-25A pedals

Postby dlargent » 31 Oct 2012, 15:04

About a year ago, I bought Roland PK-25A pedals. They are great with my C2!

They have been sitting in the closet mostly, because my organ bench, a Hammond XK-Pro model, won't fit over it. I spent about a $1000 on this bench, and I love it, but I want to buy a bench that works with the Roland.

I could buy a Roland organ bench, but it is $900. I think a used B-3/A100 bench probably won't work- RT-3 bench would definitely work, but it would be very wide...

Edit: To clarify, I think what I'm looking for is an organ bench with about 36 inches between the legs, but probably not too much more than that.
Last edited by dlargent on 31 Oct 2012, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
dlargent

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Organ Bench Advice please- PK-25A pedals

Sponsor

Re: Organ Bench Advice please- PK-25A pedals

Postby robnuckels » 31 Oct 2012, 16:22

I bought an organ bench for my 2 octave pedalboard that was wide enough off of ebay some 2 years ago. I paid $45 for it. It was , however, quite flimsy, so i found a local woodworker who strengthend the bench with metal for $136.00. Now the thing is solid. The other day, out here in northern california, i went into a thrift store & saw a battered upright piano with a CLASSIC wooden ORGAN CONSOLE BENCH. The whole thing, piano & organ bench, was going for $50. I asked if they would sell the bench seperately, & the cashier said no. However, my wife is going to aske the manager, who my wife is pretty thick with, if she would sell the bench alone for $20, when she goes to that store this coming Saturday. If she snags it for me, maybe I'll give you a pm. I'm going to buy it, anyway, because if the bench goes for $20, I can either use it, or sell it.
robnuckels

Postby robnuckels » 31 Oct 2012, 22:05

there are several organ benches right now on ebay that would work fine for your 2 octave pedalboard. they are under $200.of course, you could look into any local thrift stores, first. the one i spoke of above looked just like these - organ CONSOLE benches, made for the Hammond C series.
robnuckels

Postby dlargent » 01 Nov 2012, 22:20

Thank you for your help! But according to what I have read online, the space between the legs of the C series bench is about 32 inches. That is not large enough to fit around my pedal board. Anybody know of a bench with about 36 inches between its legs?
dlargent

Postby robnuckels » 02 Nov 2012, 00:50

When i get home tonight, I'll measure the width between the legs of the bench i use. I'm betting that 36" may be more than adequate for your pedalboard of choice. Bear in mind, that the widest width of the 2 octave pedalboard is at the FRONT (TOP) & then tapers down significantly .So the point of intersection between the legs of the bench & where they stand OVER the pedalboard is actually 36" or less. i know this from experience, because i spent countless hours & days finding a suitable stand & bench. On my C2, i have the WIDEST part of the pedalboard a couple inches in FRONT f the ONSTAGE STAND THAT I USE. The pedalboard tapers significantly enough that THIRTY TWO inches MAY BE ADEQUATE. I'll get back to you on this note. For me, adding the pedals (especially a two octave set ) places the Hammond or clone into a whole new reality. You can even do solo gigs, & use a good rhtym box (like one of the BOSS 660'S OR HIGHER) & YOU ARE smoking ! Put a 2nd tier on the ONSTAGE, & ptu the rythm box & maybe a small synth ( i use the KORG MICROSTATION,which had all the clav's.ep's, patches you need for as low as $300, & you become a force of nature. i'll get back to you, dlargent.
robnuckels

Postby robnuckels » 02 Nov 2012, 00:51

the widest part of 2 octave pedalboards is generally 40 inches . remember, this board TAPERS .
robnuckels

Postby dlargent » 02 Nov 2012, 04:04

Thanks Robnuckels for your advice. I have the Roland PK-25A, and I'm quite sure that the bench that you recommend will not work with it. I know this because the Hammond bench that I already have, which has the same dimensions, does not fit over it.

Thanks though! Id be interested in hearing about any benches which are three or four inches wider between the legs than the Hammond C series bench.
Doug
Last edited by dlargent on 02 Nov 2012, 04:05, edited 1 time in total.
dlargent

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum