Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

How to Connect Nord Wave to Cubase or Ableton Live

Postby Lyzergic » 22 Oct 2012, 22:44

Hi everyone,

I have a nord wave and I was just wondering how do you connect it to Cubase or Ableton Live, its been a headeache trying to figure this out.. Basically what I want to do is connect my nord wave in order so that when I draw notes on piano roll I can hear the presets used on the nord wave..
Lyzergic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Sponsor

Postby mmarc » 23 Oct 2012, 00:47

Lyzergic wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a nord wave and I was just wondering how do you connect it to Cubase or Ableton Live, its been a headeache trying to figure this out.. Basically what I want to do is connect my nord wave in order so that when I draw notes on piano roll I can hear the presets used on the nord wave..

I dont remember exactly how it works in Cubase or Ableton Live, but I think the principle is one, you must set midi out channel 1, choose the port for midi output channel, set the same output number for general midi settings, and select your USB device for otput/input
Last edited by mmarc on 23 Oct 2012, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
mmarc

Re: How to Connect Nord Wave to Cubase or Ableton Live

Postby mjbrands » 23 Oct 2012, 02:47

You need to have a MIDI interface connected to your computer (you cannot use the USB connection of the Wave for that). You then connect MIDI OUT on the interface to MIDI IN on the Wave.

After that you pretty much follow what mmarc says. With the default settings in the MIDI menu of the Wave, starting with MIDI channel 1 is an excellent idea.
mjbrands

Postby Lyzergic » 23 Oct 2012, 15:15

thanks in advance for the quick answers,its not as easy as it seems xD I don't have a midi interface, instead I use a RME UCX which has 2 MIDI IN's and 2 MIDI OUT's, the problem is that on Cubase when I open my MIDI Port Setup it shows the 2 IN's and 2 OUT's but the 2 OUT's are Inactive and I can't turn them on.. Please help, this has been my worst nightmare since ever lol
Lyzergic

Postby mjbrands » 23 Oct 2012, 23:51

Lyzergic wrote:it seems xD I don't have a midi interface, instead I use a RME UCX which has 2 MIDI IN's and 2 MIDI OUT's

What?! Here I have this stinking MIDI-over-USB cable and you have that nice RME interface; want to trade? :lol:

Lyzergic wrote:the problem is that on Cubase when I open my MIDI Port Setup it shows the 2 IN's and 2 OUT's but the 2 OUT's are Inactive and I can't turn them on.. Please help, this has been my worst nightmare since ever lol

You should probably ask the people at RME. But to satisfy my own curiosity: is this on a Mac, or on a PC?

Now that I think about it a bit more: is this not a Cubase specific issue? Is other software able to use the MIDI OUTs? You could use a demo version of Ableton Live to test this. If you're on a Mac, the MIDI setup utility could also test this if you have your Wave connected.
Last edited by mjbrands on 23 Oct 2012, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
mjbrands

Postby Lyzergic » 24 Oct 2012, 01:03

Noes! I won't trade it for anything in this world xP

Im running both DAW's on both, PC and MAC.. And it all seems to finilly work with ableton live, THANKS! I will try to figure it out with Cubase later.
One last question, what is the difference between Bi-Timb and channel 1,2,3,4 etc
Lyzergic

Postby mjbrands » 25 Oct 2012, 00:08

Bi-timbral means it can produce two different timbres (sounds) at the same time. The Wave is also 18-note polyphonic, which means you can have 18 notes (voices) sounding at the same time. Since it is bi-timbral, you could have 5 notes sounding in slot A and 13 in slot B - dividing the 18 voices up over the two slots is done automatically and is not something you can influence directly.

In the case of the MIDI settings (and this is likely what you're actually asking), I think setting it to bi-timbral causes the Wave to send on the MIDI channel of whatever slot you have currently selected. If you choose a channel, it will always send on that specific channel. I think you probably want to have it set to a fixed channel (I suggest 1, the default) and have the DAW decide where the MIDI messages need to go. I preferred to have slot A set to 2 and slot B set to 3, but the default is auto (1) for slot A and auto (2) for slot B.

I suggest you try both: 'global' channel on 1/slot A on 2/slot B on 3 and 'global' channel on 1/slot A on 1 (or auto)/slot B on 2 (or auto)

Try sending to channel 1 in both setups and change the slots which are active on the front-panel of the Wave. See which setup you like best.
Last edited by mjbrands on 25 Oct 2012, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
mjbrands

Return to Nord Wave Forum