Sheet Music (Doris-Anne)

Present yourself, your keyboard rig and your music, including links to your myspace, band websites, competitions etc.
monsterjazzlicks

Sheet Music (Doris-Anne)

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

"Doris Anne" - Combo Arrangement of an original composition (Copyright - Paul David Seaman, 1998) scored for Bb Horn, Piano, Bass and Drums. West Coast Modal Jazz in its style and choice of harmony.
Doris-Anne score and parts new.pdf
'Doris-Anne' (comp - Seaman)
(292.63 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Frantz
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Re: Sheet Music (Doris-Anne)

Post by Frantz »

Hello Paul,

Nice score, I'd like to hear it plaid, have you posted it yet ?
Last edited by Frantz on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
monsterjazzlicks

Hi Frantz,

i do have a recording but it is of a larger scale version i scored for Big Band, so i am not too sure if it would be helpful or not to the listener.

Best,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
monsterjazzlicks

Hi folks,

As requested by a few members, here is the 'Head' section of my composition Doris-Anne. It features the Guildhall School of Music Jazz Orchestra (2001). Obviously the harmonies are more complex in this recorded version due to the composition being scored for 17 x instruments (rather than quartet).

Anyway, i hope it helps.....

Best,

Paul

Attachments
Doris.mp3
'Doris Anne' (comp - Seaman)
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 286 times
Frantz
Patch Creator

Post by Frantz »

Yes Paul !! Thank you, I tried to play your tune, I got the melody over the A key (or it relative Db minor).
But how do you play that Em9A13 chord ?
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
monsterjazzlicks

Hi Frantz,

The Em9 chord is voiced (from the bottom upwards) E,G,B,F#. The Bass player will be playing the E (as it is written in his part) and so you can omit this note from your chord. Therefore your Left Hand will be playing G,B,D,F#. However, if you do not have a Bass player present then you will need to play E,G,B,D (unless you have very long fingers and can stretch all 5 x notes with your left hand !!).

The same rules apply to the A13 chord. So (upwards) G,B,C#,F# if you have a Bass player. If not then G,A,C#,E.

Notice that i have included to ROOT (E and A), and omitted the upper-extension (F# and F#) in the chord if there is no Bass player present.

These types of voicings sound good when written for Trombones in a big band (though i did not do so in this arrangement because i chose to let the Rhythm Section play these particular chords, and to feature the upper Trombones playing the melody on the B Section of the tune).

Hope that answers your questions.

Best,

Paul
Frantz
Patch Creator

Post by Frantz »

Oh yes, thank you for your answer.
I now move from Em9 to A13, I just change the big finger from D to C# and left hand from E to A => sounds better now !
I find what you are sharing interesting, your PDF is really nice with parts and solos indications ( E and F Dorian ...).

I was puzzled on part A because the signature suggest the A scale to me, but the Em chord suggests a G pitch that is not in the scale, not a blue note, I could not make it "sound" good. The E dorian includes that G pitch so ... I've been fooled by the signature.

For the melody of "part B" and solos on F dorian, I was puzzled because I expected a signature change to Eb.

Thank you for sharing Paul, and your comments are very welcome.

Frantz.
Last edited by Frantz on 18 Aug 2012, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
monsterjazzlicks

Dear Frantz,

Thank you for your very interesting observations.

Regarding the falling semitone intervals in the Left Hand chords of Em7 and A7, this technique is refered to as VOICE LEADING. Generally speaking, good Harmony consists of one chord smoothly moving (resolving) into another. And this is produced by applying good Voice Leading.
Because this piece is a MODAL composistion, i could have written it in OPEN KEY (ie. with NO Key Signature). But because each Section has such a strong sense of Tonality, i decided to assign Key Signatures (those being of the respective Relative Majors).

For IMPROVISATORY Scale choices, i would use E Dorian (D Major) for the A Sections and F Dorian (Eb Major) for the B Section.

i hope you find this useful.............

Best,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 27 Aug 2012, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.