Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Mellotron Sounds

Postby Tuesday » 11 Jun 2012, 15:11

When I Tried out the nord electro in the musc store I really liked the strawberry fields flute but the strings were not convincing or even impressive to me at all, I'm hoping that the sounds in the mellotron library are better sounding. What are you guys doing to get the great old mellotron sounds from your electro ?
Last edited by Tuesday on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
Tuesday

Mellotron Sounds

Sponsor

Re: Mellotron Sounds

Postby Cute James » 11 Jun 2012, 15:32

Bear in mind that the 'stock' sample sounds are just a very small selection of what is available in the Nord Sample Library. Even if you weren't so keen on one of the Mellotron strings sounds, I expect there will be others (and non-Mellotron sounds) that you do like.
Last edited by Cute James on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.
Cute James

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby YvesEchoes » 15 Jun 2012, 13:19

Hi,

I have the same impression, and in the end I created my own Strings sound, sampled from a PC3 Kurzweil Mellotron Strings, that sounds pretty good.

PC3 had only 3 or 4 Mellotron's Strings sounds, but it's really better than Nord's, in my opinion.

I think that the problem doesn't come from the sample itself, but from the lack of edition available on the sample librairy. PC3 has a huge effect section and many layering possiblities, so the sample are used more deeply by the machine.

(sorry for my english ... :) )
Last edited by YvesEchoes on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
YvesEchoes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby evandrolino » 16 May 2019, 02:20

YvesEchoes wrote:Hi,

I have the same impression, and in the end I created my own Strings sound, sampled from a PC3 Kurzweil Mellotron Strings, that sounds pretty good.

PC3 had only 3 or 4 Mellotron's Strings sounds, but it's really better than Nord's, in my opinion.

I think that the problem doesn't come from the sample itself, but from the lack of edition available on the sample librairy. PC3 has a huge effect section and many layering possiblities, so the sample are used more deeply by the machine.

(sorry for my english ... :) )

could you share these Kurzweil Mellotron samples?
evandrolino
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby anotherscott » 16 May 2019, 03:20

YvesEchoes wrote:PC3 had only 3 or 4 Mellotron's Strings sounds, but it's really better than Nord's, in my opinion.

I agree, which is why I just mentioned that on my band's last album, I used the Kurz mellotron sound instead of Nord's (in the hread at nord-stage-forum-f3/usage-of-factory-chamberlin-and-mellotron-samples-t16853.html#p111475 ).

YvesEchoes wrote:I think that the problem doesn't come from the sample itself, but from the lack of edition available on the sample librairy. PC3 has a huge effect section and many layering possiblities, so the sample are used more deeply by the machine. (sorry for my english ... :) )

I don't know what it is, but it's not layered samples or otherwise more deep. The mellotron itself is a simple one-recording-per-note device. No velocity layers, no envelopes, no filters, so none of that would be needed to duplicate it.
anotherscott

Postby JiminWales » 16 May 2019, 23:11

I'm not convinced by them. I know they really are the real deal Mellotron tape sounds, but it never sounds like a Mellotron playing them. If the Nord samples are of the master tapes used to make the instruments tapes instead of played back from a Mellotron itself then that would explain it. The real Mellotron has an airy presence like you can hear the tape dragging through the playback mechanism.
In Wales, no one will hear you scream.
JiminWales

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby JiminWales » 17 May 2019, 11:16

Nope... Nord say the sounds were sampled played from a Mellotron...
"The Nord Sample Library versions were made of the 63 most well known lead sounds from the Mellotron sound library, using super fresh tapes that were printed directly from the original masters. These tapes were then used in a brand new Mellotron mk VI, that uses new mechanics and state of the art technology, but original unused stock tape heads."

Possibly the approach taken to make the samples was just too good technically?
...but I've heard new build Mellotrons and they do have "that sound", so I don't know what's up.
In Wales, no one will hear you scream.
JiminWales

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Return to Nord Electro Forum