Nord Stage 4 and Yamaha FC3A pedal

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
AdyJapp

Nord Stage 4 and Yamaha FC3A pedal

Post by AdyJapp »

Hi all,

New to the forum, and probably soon new to a Nord keyboard.

I've been playing a Yamaha MODX8+, and a CP73 for live. In a bid to simplify my setup, save space etc, I'm looking at buying a Nord Stage 4. I've played one, and like it.

As I have a few pedals already, and I'll be using the Stage 4 for home use, and for live use, I was thinking of using one of my FC3A pedals with the Nord. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but would be interested in any experience here of said pedal with a Nord Stage.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ady
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Nord Stage 4 and Yamaha FC3A pedal

Post by maxpiano »

Hi and welcome to NUF.

FC3A is a continuous damper pedal with a specific Yamaha wiring at its TRS jack (it won't work on Rolands for example and viceversa), so to make it work on NS4 the only possible way (but to be tested) would to build an adapter (or rewire its TRS Jack in order) to try to make it equivalent to a Nord Single Pedal 2 (the only single continuous sustain pedal officially supported by NS4), maybe some other NS4 owner already did or tried this and could share experience.

PS: someone went for an even more sophisticated solution to make it emulate the Sustain of the Nord Triple Pedal Using Yamaha FC3A with NORD stage (with Arduino)
Last edited by maxpiano on 19 Apr 2024, 17:03, edited 4 times in total.
AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

maxpiano wrote:Hi and welcome to NUF.

FC3A is a continuous damper pedal with a specific Yamaha wiring at its TRS jack (it won't work on Rolands for example and viceversa), so to make it work on NS4 the only possible way (but to be tested) would to build an adapter (or rewire its TRS Jack in order) to try to make it equivalent to a Nord Single Pedal 2 (the only single continuous sustain pedal officially supported by NS4), maybe some other NS4 owner already did or tried this and could share experience
Thanks. Thought there might be some mod that may work. Would be worth building an adaptor rather selling a pedal and investing in another Nord pedal, unless the Nord has some very exotic method of wring their pedal!
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

AdyJapp wrote:
maxpiano wrote:Hi and welcome to NUF.

FC3A is a continuous damper pedal with a specific Yamaha wiring at its TRS jack (it won't work on Rolands for example and viceversa), so to make it work on NS4 the only possible way (but to be tested) would to build an adapter (or rewire its TRS Jack in order) to try to make it equivalent to a Nord Single Pedal 2 (the only single continuous sustain pedal officially supported by NS4), maybe some other NS4 owner already did or tried this and could share experience
Thanks. Thought there might be some mod that may work. Would be worth building an adaptor rather selling a pedal and investing in another Nord pedal, unless the Nord has some very exotic method of wring their pedal!
NSP2 is actually a rebranded Kawai F-10H so if you find the wiring and specs of this one you will know how to build the adapter.

EDIT: uhmm... readin on the web I find that The Kawai F10-H Piano Damper Pedal is a piano damper and sustain pedal with a single-pedal design and half-damper capability. The F-10H is an optical pedal and requires a power supply. so maybe it is cheaper to just get a F10-H than trying to adapt the FC3A (which may not work at all)?

EDIT": I also found the Kawai F10H half pedal wiring and specs on this thread https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads ... ost2964610

Kawai F10H half pedal specs
Tip -> Vout (voltage output, equals Vin when at idle, approaches zero when pressed)
Ring -> Vin = 3.3V supply
Sleeve -> GND
Last edited by maxpiano on 19 Apr 2024, 17:12, edited 5 times in total.
AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

maxpiano wrote:
AdyJapp wrote:
NSP2 is actually a rebranded Kawai F-10H so if you find the wiring and specs of this one you will know how to build the adapter.

EDIT: uhmm... readin on the web I find that The Kawai F10-H Piano Damper Pedal is a piano damper and sustain pedal with a single-pedal design and half-damper capability. The F-10H is an optical pedal and requires a power supply. so maybe it is cheaper to just get a F10-H than trying to adapt the FC3A (which may not work at all)?

EDIT": I also found the Kawai F10H half pedal wiring and specs on this thread https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads ... ost2964610

Kawai F10H half pedal specs
Tip -> Vout (voltage output, equals Vin when at idle, approaches zero when pressed)
Ring -> Vin = 3.3V supply
Sleeve -> GND
Thanks for all the info.! Really helpful.

I guess the approach may have to change (but I'll do a bit more research first). The Stage 4 comes with a pedal already, and I will (eventually) probably invest in a triple pedal 2 for use in my little studio office, and use the supplied single pedal to carry for live use.
adamcb
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Post by adamcb »

My Yamaha FC3A works great on my Stage 4 - no adapter or rewiring required. Just choose the "Nord SP-2" as the Sustain Pedal type in the pedal options (SHIFT-6, I think it's the second page - the default is the NORD SP-1) and it works great as a sustain WITH the pedal noise.

I don't know if this was an OS update or not, but running 1.24 and had the FC3A for my Genos 2. Didn't work with the SP-1 option setting but great with the SP-2 choice.

Adam
These users thanked the author adamcb for the post:
AdyJapp
AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

adamcb wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 21:44 My Yamaha FC3A works great on my Stage 4 - no adapter or rewiring required. Just choose the "Nord SP-2" as the Sustain Pedal type in the pedal options (SHIFT-6, I think it's the second page - the default is the NORD SP-1) and it works great as a sustain WITH the pedal noise.

I don't know if this was an OS update or not, but running 1.24 and had the FC3A for my Genos 2. Didn't work with the SP-1 option setting but great with the SP-2 choice.

Adam
Hi,

Actually just tried this on my new Stage 4 - typically just before reading your post(!)

As you say, it works perfectly, just like the SP-2 does! Fantastic, and thanks for your post (even though I hadn't read it before excitedly jumpoing on to the forum to post about it!!

Cheers

Ady