Could someone please explain LIVE MODE??

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
piersonplays
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Could someone please explain LIVE MODE??

Post by piersonplays »

Hi!
I am a Nord newbie (just bought a Nord Piano 5). I like the action and sounds- however I find the user interface rather non-intuitive, specifically the question of being able to quickly call up saved programs.

My question is, what is (and why is) Live Mode? The manual explains it as "Live programs are automatically stored. When exiting a Live Program or powering off the machine all edits are saved, without the need for a manual store operation."

It also presents Live Mode as an option to store a program, in addition to the Program Select buttons.

But does anyone know or understand the main reason for Live Mode? It seems to me that we can accomplish calling up stored programs and sounds without it, using the program select buttons and the Pro/Menu dial. Is it a separate sound bank altogether? Does it somehow make it easier to switch between sounds and patches in a live performance (hence the name)?

I'm puzzling about this because I have a gig 2 days from now and I'm trying to figure out the easiest and least-resistance way to store and call up new programs which I will create. If I'm going to use Program Select or Live Mode, I'd rather stick with one or the other. I'm wondering if there is any advantage to either that I'm not aware of.

thanks so much in advance !!

-Pierson
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Could someone please explain LIVE MODE??

Post by ericL »

Programs are most reliable when you can set everything up ahead of time and have them dialed in for your songs. That’s what I use 99% of the time with my NS3.

Live mode is helpful if you need a quick and spontaneous move to a particular sound that you adjust on the fly during a jam. I have a few Live setups with basic Hammond registrations and other standard sounds. Just for quick hits but definitely don’t rely upon Live mode for a specific set list.
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
piersonplays
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
pterm
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by pterm »

I totally agree with ericL: I use Live mode for jams: I have an AP, EP, and a couple of organs stored. In Live Mode, I usually just adjust the EQ and effects during the session to match the room/song/mix and the Live Mode remembers the settings as I cycle between different Live Mode instruments.
These users thanked the author pterm for the post (total 2):
ericL, piersonplays
ericL
Patch Creator

Post by ericL »

Thanks, pterm!

The other occasional use I will have for Live mode is if I've gotten myself stuck in a situation where I neglected to organize sounds accordingly (rare), or someone in the band suddenly calls out a spontaneous song. One that happens more often than others is a birthday celebration at a gig, where the band will play Birthday by The Beatles. I typically use a basic piano and a bit of organ for this song. If I don't know the song is coming and my Programs are currently stuck in the midst of very dedicated sounds, it is much easier for me to flip over to Live mode where I will definitely have some piano and organ sounds sitting there ready, behind the scenes. Then, just flip back over to Song mode and it's very seamless and easy.
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
piersonplays
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
piersonplays
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Post by piersonplays »

Thanks, y'all. As I've started to gig with this board, it's become more obvious how I can practically use this function (and useful). I just wish there were more than just 5 Live Modes (or are there, and I'm just missing something? lol)
ericL
Patch Creator

Post by ericL »

Why not save your sounds as Programs? There are lots of these.
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by FZiegler »

To me, live mode is a good idea that I almost never use. If you want to be prepared for new songs, use your 4 layers: set them all and turn part of them off - so you have more than 5 options.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars