Extern HOLD function on NS2EX for Microfreak

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
IvanHucko
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Extern HOLD function on NS2EX for Microfreak

Post by IvanHucko »

Hi, I use the HOLD function on my NS2EX to drone a sample from synth, and I would like to add a bass sound to this sound from my Microfreak. This functionality has its own button on Microfreak, and only works if the note is played on it's keyboard. I can easily assign Microfreak to the EXTERN section on NS, but there is no hold button there. Instead, the hold functionality works with sustain pedal connected to NS (for Microfreak, HOLD is assigned CC64). When I hold my sustain pedal, the note remains engaged. Understandably, this is not very helpful, because I want to play piano as the notes are playing in the drone setup :( . Therefore, sustain has to be disabled for EXTERN section.

Is there a way to engage the hold functionality thru MIDI in other means than with sustain pedal (some button or dial on the NS2EX)?

Ivan :keyboard:
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Extern HOLD function on NS2EX for Microfreak

Post by maxpiano »

Hello Ivan and welcome to NUF :-)

In Extern Section you can also define a specific MIDI CC that you can assign to the Extern knob dial so... set it to 64 in Extern menu, assign Extern knob to it using the dedicated button (see NS2EX manual - Extern Section paragraph) and try :-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 28 Mar 2024, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post (total 2):
ericL, IvanHucko
IvanHucko

Post by IvanHucko »

Thanks, this worked :thumbup: .

The toggle function of HOLD on Microfreak engages when CC64 Value is in range 64-127. I abandoned this approach at first, because I already used the CC knob to adjust Filter Cutoff on Microfreak. But then I realized that I have two sections, and can assign CUTOFF (CC23) to knob in EXTERN section A and HOLD (CC64) to knob in EXTERN section B. So in the end, NS2EX can probably control two custom CC Channels at one time. Maybe there are some other ways I have not realized yet.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

That is right and you can also morph the Extern knob with the CtrlPed or ModWheel (if needed) so if you layer both slots you can control the Extern of the inactive (background) one without switching
Last edited by maxpiano on 29 Mar 2024, 15:22, edited 2 times in total.
IvanHucko

Post by IvanHucko »

Yes, that's what I am doing. CUTOFF is assigned to CtrlPed via morph :thumbup: