Stage 4 newbie questions

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
jrmcanada

Stage 4 newbie questions

Post by jrmcanada »

I'm very interested in purchasing a Stage 4 but regrettably there aren't any Nord dealers anywhere near me so I can't play or even see one in person. I have a few questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking that I can download any sounds from the Nord Sample Library 4.0 (https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... library-40) and use them in the Stage 4? There are a bunch of pads that aren't in the Nord Stage 4 Factory Sounds list that I want to make sure I can still download and use.

2. What is the action like compared to a Yamaha CP300?

3. Does it come with a sustain pedal?

4. Would a sustain pedal from a Yamaha CP300 work on the Stage 4?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by jrmcanada on 25 Mar 2024, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Re: Stage 4 newbie questions

Post by cphollis »

Welcome!

1. yes, plus there are many user-created samples on this forum and elsewhere
2. I prefer Nord's calibrated flavor of Fatar action to the Yammie CP300, but on the NS4 there's an aftertouch strip involved which can affect key bounce.
3. I think I got the basic Nord SP1 pedal with mine. Triple pedal is extra I believe.
4. Almost any sustain pedal would work for piano, leslie toggle, etc.
I think I have gear issues ....
catosim
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by catosim »

cphollis wrote:3. I think I got the basic Nord SP1 pedal with mine. Triple pedal is extra I believe.
In Norway the Stage 4 is delivered without pedal. Don't know if that's the case all over
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
Tasten-Bert
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Tasten-Bert »

jrmcanada wrote:I'm very interested in purchasing a Stage 4 but regrettably there aren't any Nord dealers anywhere near me so I can't play or even see one in person. I have a few questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking that I can download any sounds from the Nord Sample Library 4.0 (https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... library-40) and use them in the Stage 4? There are a bunch of pads that aren't in the Nord Stage 4 Factory Sounds list that I want to make sure I can still download and use.

2. What is the action like compared to a Yamaha CP300?

3. Does it come with a sustain pedal?

4. Would a sustain pedal from a Yamaha CP300 work on the Stage 4?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If I haven‘t overseen a word I can‘t find which NS keybed you are talking about. This has influence on the answer to point 2. There is the Compact with waterfall keys and there are the two Hammer Action ones, the 73 and 88 model.

to 3.: the biggest German Retailer‘s website adds a sustain pedal to both the 73HA and the 88HA whereas the compact comes without. But no info what pedal model.

Cheers
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |
[hr]
... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
catosim
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by catosim »

Tasten-Bert wrote:If I haven‘t overseen a word I can‘t find which NS keybed you are talking about.
That's true. But when comparing with a CP300, it's fair to make the assumption he'a asking about a NS4-88
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
jrmcanada

Post by jrmcanada »

Oops ... you're correct. I should have mentioned I'm talking about the 88-key hammer action model.
onward

Post by onward »

Hi!

I am a 1st time Nord owner, just purchased a Stage 4 HA73 and love it!

1 After editing A:18, Shoreline Wheel, I attempted saving, but hadn't yet turned Memory Protect Off. When I did and toggled back, I'm wondering whether my edits would still be there. After successfully saving to G:14, it sounds the same as A:18.

2) Also, if in the process, I ended up altering the original A:18, how would I use the Sound Manager to restore.

Thanks for your help!
Heatha05
Donator

Post by Heatha05 »

onward wrote:Hi!

2) Also, if in the process, I ended up altering the original A:18, how would I use the Sound Manager to restore.
Firstly, can I recommend taking regular backups of the whole instrument in Sound manager (NSM) and occasionally testing them by using the Restore option.

NSM will allow you to export all of the programs (and samples and presets) as individual files. I'd suggest doing this as soon as possible, and then you can easily reload any program that you accidentally overwrite or corrupt. Just select the items you want (in this case all of them) and then use the Download button in NSM to save them. (I use iCloud so that the files are always available even in the event my laptop is stolen or if I need to restore to a backup instrument in an emergency).

The NSM backup file can also be unzipped to give access to individual program/preset/sample files as well. Just change the file extension to.zip, unzip, and then the extracted files can be uploaded to your keyboard in NSM.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Heatha05 on 26 Mar 2024, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
NS4 compact, Roland Juno-X, Waldorf Blofeld, Zynthian v5, Arturia MiniFreak
Thonolan

Post by Thonolan »

catosim wrote:
cphollis wrote:3. I think I got the basic Nord SP1 pedal with mine. Triple pedal is extra I believe.
In Norway the Stage 4 is delivered without pedal. Don't know if that's the case all over
Same in Spain.
Solartron

Post by Solartron »

jrmcanada wrote:3. Does it come with a sustain pedal?
I bought 3 Nord Stage 4s before I finally got one that was undamaged and contained all the required parts. All 3 times, there was a NS1 pedal in the box—even for the time when the power supply unit was missing! I assume USA buyers get one, but I cannot confirm what might be included in Canadian purchases.