Triple pedal and external keyboard

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
rmoisio
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Triple pedal and external keyboard

Post by rmoisio »

I have the following symptom with NS3C with triple pedal plugged in

1) Dual keyboard as a panel = triple pedal totally non functional
2) Dual keyboard as piano = triple pedal works (sostenuto) but pedal noise sample does not play
3) Panel B set as midi receiver and not in focus = triple pedal totally non functional
4) Panel B set as midi receiver and in focus = triple pedal completely works

Is there a way to configure NS3 so that when you play notes from external keyboard the triple pedal would trigger also the pedal noise patch AND one could play ie organ from NS3 keyboard without the piano engine? In my mind option nro 2 above should work like this.

Thanks.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Re: Triple pedal and external keyboard

Post by maxpiano »

When you use Dual Keyboard on the NS3 the assigned Section (or Panel) should respond only to the external controllers, so also in vase (2) the local NTP should be ineffective (strange you say that sostenuto works, it shouldn't)

What you need to do what you are asking is a "triple pedal" connected to the external keyboard and sending the related CCs from it to the NS3.
Last edited by maxpiano on 02 May 2023, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

Maxpiano, this is not how it is. I think it's even mentioned in the manual: single engine DualKB mode allows use of local controllers, panel DualKB mode doesn't. What was new for me is that pedal noise doesn't play in single engine DualKB mode. The rest isn't new.

Unfortunately, one more thing: My attempts with external pedal didn't help for correct pedal noise - there was a brutal noise instead, something like "pedal up, pedal down, pedal down" (very loudly) instead of one pulse or so. As I don't use the NS3C for recording, I don't care: On stage, you won't mind.

But in fact, my Nord triple pedal is retired for a long time. And that's a bummer considering the costs.
Last edited by FZiegler on 02 May 2023, 23:14, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

FZiegler wrote:Maxpiano, this is not how it is. I think it's even mentioned in the manual: single engine DualKB mode allows use of local controllers, panel DualKB mode doesn't. What was new for me is that pedal noise doesn't play in single engine DualKB mode. The rest isn't new.
You are actually right, maybe I had in mind the original Panel-only Dual KB mode and anyway I should have been more precise and say that I prefer (and suggest) to use pedals from the external controller to avoid any confusion and overlaps (and... I almost never use Pedal Noise, particularly in Live, all my Programs have it switched off)

PS: wait... the NS3 update history says that in v 1.42
Local sustain pedal affected Dual KB as well. Fixed.
which was after the Dual KB mode "per Section" was introduced and no other mention in later releases... so maybe I was not so wrong :D
Last edited by maxpiano on 03 May 2023, 10:29, edited 6 times in total.
Klondyke77

Post by Klondyke77 »

FZiegler wrote: Unfortunately, one more thing: My attempts with external pedal didn't help for correct pedal noise - there was a brutal noise instead, something like "pedal up, pedal down, pedal down" (very loudly) instead of one pulse or so.
That's a known effect when Nord S3 receives continuous (Midi-) values from Sustain pedal (CC64). Need to turn off Pedal Noise or use a sustain pedal with momentary switch. But the latter depends on the keyboard where it's connected. Nord accepts only (single) Pedal up(0)/down(127) Midi messages - nothing inbetween ;)

I managed to work around this problem with an Arduino Midi Converter (self built & programmed). See my older posts if interested.
technlgyst
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Post by technlgyst »

Klondyke77 wrote:That's a known effect when Nord S3 receives continuous (Midi-) values from Sustain pedal (CC64). Need to turn off Pedal Noise or use a sustain pedal with momentary switch. But the latter depends on the keyboard where it's connected. Nord accepts only (single) Pedal up(0)/down(127) Midi messages - nothing inbetween ;)
That's not true. I used my Nord Piano 88 to reverse-engineer the algorithm used to trigger pedal noises and created an app for that which enables this triggering using even the most simple switch-type sustain pedals, without any soldering or taking a pedal unit apart. The Nord does accept continuous MIDI messages on the Sustain controller (indeed CC64), but it needs to be the correct sequence of values for the correct triggering of appropriate parts of the pedal noise. It's not just one sound, it's a bunch of sounds played sequentially depending on how fast you press the NTP. Also the half pedalling is encoded in CC64.
Last edited by Berretje on 25 Mar 2024, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamic Pedal Noise without Triple Pedal: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... _noise_pro