Connecting Midi Controller to NS4 via Midi USB-B port

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Scheper
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Connecting Midi Controller to NS4 via Midi USB-B port

Post by Scheper »

Does anyone know if it would be possible to connect and power a Midi Controller (such as a Keylab Essential 49) to a NS4 via their USB-B ports instead of using the regular 5-pin MIDI ports?
vojtech-h
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Re: Connecting Midi Controller to NS4 via Midi USB-B port

Post by vojtech-h »

Direct connection is not possible. The NS4 is a USB slave device.

Substitution of 5-pin MIDI using USB-MIDI via PC only.

See also NS4 user manual pg. 64
USB CONNECTION
The USB port is used for connecting the Nord Stage 4 to a computer.
The connection can be used for MIDI communication, for OS updates
and for connecting to applications such as the Nord Sound Manager
or Nord Sample Editor 4.
Last edited by vojtech-h on 22 Mar 2024, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by FZiegler »

I'd answer this way:

It is possible to do, but not directly. You'd need a MIDI USB host in between (that needs its own power supply but will feed the MIDI controller). Which will add to costs and complexity - but is doable.

If you explain what you are trying to achieve, you might get a profound answer from someone who has already solved a similar problem.
Last edited by FZiegler on 22 Mar 2024, 19:41, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Scheper

Post by Scheper »

FZiegler wrote:I'd answer this way:

It is possible to do, but not directly. You'd need a MIDI USB host in between (that needs its own power supply but will feed the MIDI controller). Which will add to costs and complexity - but is doable.

If you explain what you are trying to achieve, you might get a profound answer from someone who has already solved a similar problem.
My intention is to use two Midi Controllers to control my NS4. I already do have a MIDI Interface, so I know that I can already achieve what I want. However, I was still wondering if I could eliminate the use of the MIDI Interface by utilizing the USB-B features on the keyboards. Since that would mean that I won't have to take the MIDI Interface with me every single time. But what I understand is that the USB-B ports are exclusively used for connecting to a pc. I hope this gives some more context.
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by FZiegler »

This sounds as if if was for stage use.

If one of the two MIDI controllers had (hard or soft) MIDI-thru, you could daisy-chain the two controllers into the MIDI-in of your Nord. You'll probably want to have them on different channels, I think. Should be possible.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Ecaroh

Post by Ecaroh »

Side note: does MIDI controllers work with NS4? From the NS4 Bug list, there’s open bug id #11 which has description ”Midi control reception problems. If used with an external midi keyboard, through the ext KB function, it does not receive the midi controls of pitch bend, modulation wheel, aftertouch, resonance, cutoff, etc... moreover, the midi volume control acts on all the layers of the section synth, instead of acting in the single layer that uses the ext KB mode, this problem also occurs in the piano and organ section. moreover, using the ext KB function of the organ section, it is possible to control and receive from the external midi keyboard all the various controls (drawbar, on/off vib/chorus, on/off percussion, rotary fast/slow, drive, etc... ) only with layer B, with layer A, only a few midi controls work (fast/slow rotary and only 1 drawbar).”

I’d like to ask users with external MIDI controllers: what’s your way of using them? Just notes? Or have you managed to somehow fix these issues? As far as I know Nord has not provided a firmware update which fixes this issue #11.