NS4 Send Program Change to Aux Kbd

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Scheper
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

NS4 Send Program Change to Aux Kbd

Post by Scheper »

I am trying to connect my Prophet Rev2 to my NS4. My intention is to both use it as a Midi Controller for the NS4 for some songs and for others to use it's synth engine. For the Midi Controller part, I've made a preset on my Prophet without any internal sounds. I've set the Prophet to MIDI Channel 2.

I've been attempting to setup my Nord to execute a Program change to the Midi Controller Program on the Prophet and to also be able to receive the MIDI notes from the Prophet. However, I've been unable to make this happen. Since I can either set the
MIDI->AuxKbd Channel to 2, which enables receiving the notes from the Prophet, or setting MIDI->Extern Channel to 2 which enables the Program Change function. But for some reason, I can't manage to use both settings simultaniously since the AuxKbd Channel has a higher priority. Unfortunately I can't set a receive and send channel on the Prophet.

Am I missing something? I've been able to use this setup in the past on other keyboard brands, but I'm not sure if the Nord is able to do this.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: NS4 Send Program Change to Aux Kbd

Post by maxpiano »

On previous Nord Stages this can be done easily as the Extern Channel is independent and can overlap any general MIDI setting, including the channel set for DualKeyb (equivalent to Aux on NS4). Strange instead on NS4 this is not possible, but I know this has already been discussed in this forum (if you do some search you may find the threads about it)

Thinking of a workaround for your specific case, since the REV2 allows also an "ALL" setting in MIDI Receiving, by which it will accept messages on any channel, have you tried to use it, so you could set the NS4 Extern Channel to a different one than 2?
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 Mar 2024, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Scheper
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Post by Scheper »

maxpiano wrote:On previous Nord Stages this can be done easily as the Extern Channel is independent and can overlap any general MIDI setting, including the channel set for DualKeyb (equivalent to Aux on NS4). Strange instead on NS4 this is not possible, but I know this has already been discussed in this forum (if you do some search you may find the threads about it)

Thinking of a workaround for your specific case, since the REV2 allows also an "ALL" setting in MIDI Receiving, by which it will accept messages on any channel, have you tried to use it, so you could set the NS4 Extern Channel to a different one than 2?
That was actually a great suggestion. I forgot that the ALL setting was an option as well. Anyways, that seems to have fixed it. Thanks!
changearound
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by changearound »

Do you now have the problem of the Rev2 responding to NS4 Global channel messages? I'm thinking the NS4 will now play Rev2 sounds when you don't want it to.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

changearound wrote:Do you now have the problem of the Rev2 responding to NS4 Global channel messages? I'm thinking the NS4 will now play Rev2 sounds when you don't want it to.
If you keep NS4 Global Channel to Off it won’t.
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 Mar 2024, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
changearound
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by changearound »

Good point. :)