Broken B Key - Warranty

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Walker31415
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Broken B Key - Warranty

Post by Walker31415 »

Hey fellow Nord users!

I recently encountered a problem with my Nord Stage 4, where the B key would catch and I'd have to push on the inside of the key before it'd continue working.
This is the video I took of my key: https://youtube.com/shorts/ESV96-Qy2Qg?feature=share

I got my NS4 less than a year ago so I knew there is a manufacturer warranty still applicable. I contacted Nord, which automatically sent me to a form for American Music and Sound, the Nord distributor here in the US.
They had me take my keyboard to a private repair shop that I got to choose from a list of different shops in my area. I went to GPS Electronics in Norwalk, CA, because they had the shortest return time out of the few that were in my area (2 weeks). They repair keyboards and guitar amps and other electronics.
It's been a week, I contacted GPS Electronics, and they said they've been backlogged and haven't looked even into my keyboard yet. This is frustrating for me because I need to use it every week.

I knew I was going to be disappointed with a Fatar keybed at one point! :lol:
Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone has had similar experiences with repairs.
These users thanked the author Walker31415 for the post:
MrLeoMadrid
Macsaint777
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Re: Broken B Key - Warranty

Post by Macsaint777 »

Honestly, you can fix that yourself very very easily. The key needs replacing - and those run about $30 for the part and shipping. This happened on my Stage 3 as well.
These users thanked the author Macsaint777 for the post:
Walker31415
fishingtrip
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by fishingtrip »

I've had my stage 4 about 8 months now.
After 3 weeks,I was using the keyboard to midi drums into Garageband and repeating a particular key (hihats) it became unattached exactly like your problem.I managed to fiddle it back into place and all ok but I am loath to use the keyboard for recording drums now incase it happens again.
I also had a different issue with the keybed on my previous stage 3.Some keys were not returning to fully up position and resting about 2mm from the level of the other keys.They had it about a month and then said it could not be repaired and offered me a deal on my present stage 4.I firmly believe that the keybeds are the weakest link on Nords.I love my stage 4 but I tend to worry about keybed issues in the future,I've already had a key problem within a month of owning it.Nord will probably say the issues with keybeds are very rare in the scheme of things but these boards are not cheap and to have 2 seperate key issues on to new keyboards within 12 months is worrying.
These users thanked the author fishingtrip for the post:
Walker31415
Walker31415
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Walker31415 »

Macsaint777 wrote:Honestly, you can fix that yourself very very easily. The key needs replacing - and those run about $30 for the part and shipping. This happened on my Stage 3 as well.
I'm definitely willing do do something like this if I had the time and patience! But opening the board would void what little warranty I had left, and I simply don't have much time to embark on such an endeavor.

Now, if it was out of warranty, I would definitely attempt this! I have two friends that have experienced problems with the keybed: One with a NS3SW and one with an NS3HP. My friend with the NS3SW had an unresponsive key and took it to a shop in Anaheim where he paid a few hundred dollars out of pocket to get it fixed. My friend with the NS3HP also had an unresponsive key but she got it fixed in the prayer room by our bass player! :lol: Alas, it was a contact pad problem and that key has never been as responsive as the other keys. I'm glad that my problem is not as bad as theirs and that I know what to do if it ever happens again (I do play pretty hard!)
fishingtrip wrote:I've had my stage 4 about 8 months now.
After 3 weeks,I was using the keyboard to midi drums into Garageband and repeating a particular key (hihats) it became unattached exactly like your problem.I managed to fiddle it back into place and all ok but I am loath to use the keyboard for recording drums now incase it happens again.
I also had a different issue with the keybed on my previous stage 3.Some keys were not returning to fully up position and resting about 2mm from the level of the other keys.They had it about a month and then said it could not be repaired and offered me a deal on my present stage 4.I firmly believe that the keybeds are the weakest link on Nords.I love my stage 4 but I tend to worry about keybed issues in the future,I've already had a key problem within a month of owning it.Nord will probably say the issues with keybeds are very rare in the scheme of things but these boards are not cheap and to have 2 seperate key issues on to new keyboards within 12 months is worrying.
Definitely! The poor Fatar keybed was the one thing holding me back buying my NS4 but KB HOLD and that luscious Cathedral reverb that can be separate per layer sold me! No regrets! I just wish they had a wood key option for the Stage like the Yamaha CP/YC...

I believe every Nord comes with a 1 year warranty in the US, have you gotten your Stage 4 fixed one way or the other?
Last edited by Walker31415 on 13 Mar 2024, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.