Advice request for IEM

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
Eriknie
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Advice request for IEM

Post by Eriknie »

I'm using these cheap ones. I bought them as spare for my molded in-ears. Now everybody in my band is using them as main in-ear.
Warm, full sound and pretty good isolation. Enough to block drums but still have contact with the audience.
We all have two of them as backup, the 1000+ euro molded ones stay at home...

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40000146 ... pt=glo2nld

No risk in trying. Happy to hear your experience!
These users thanked the author Eriknie for the post:
toniolito
NP5-73, NS3C
QSheets: The fastest sheet display tool in the world that plays Audio and send Program Changes: https://QSheets.eriknie.synology.me
FixLoop: Add Loop Points of Wav Files into the Nord Sample Editor: https://github.com/erik-nie/FixLoop-NSE
toniolito
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by toniolito »

So, I made my first try of IEM at the last rehearsal. Here are my feedback.

I used my Beringher xenyx 1002b mixer with KZ Zs10 pro in-ears with comply foam TZ-500 tips and an active fischer amp in-ear stick.
As I said before, I have plugged the headphone output of the Nord, the Aux output of PA mixer where only 2 singer mics (and me) are plugged. I removed the Nord sound from Aux output to not interfer with the same sound already in my mixer.

When I checked at home, I found the sound maybe a little bit harsh but very correct. And at rehearsal, no complain on the sound and I can finally hear myself with the little imperfections in my playing which are usually hidden in the "blurry" sound. :)

Despite the attenuation, no problem to hear the drums and the bass guitar which are not part of IEM sound. Obviously, I perfectly hear singers and my NS3. The drawbacks are:
- more difficult to talk with my bandmates
- sound of the guitar which is weak
- difficulties to set my volume in the main mix (my sound volume was usually too low).
- more setup time

For the bandmates talks and guitar sound, I quickly came to use my zoom H1 which easily fixed the issue.
For the main mix, I adjusted regarding my bandmates live feedbacks and sometimes by quickly removing and put back earphones.
And setup time, I think I will learn to go faster. :D

Next step:
- little Mackie mix8 mixer (to avoid using my home mixer)
- Radial pro d2 (to avoid using headphone output of the Nord and maybe improve sound quality to the PA, will see).

And I'm not sure if the active fischer amp is really needed (for the limiter feature). A passive one would be more handy, but no limiter. :?

And after that, I could plug amp outputs of guitar and bass guitar to the PA mixer to be able to route them to Aux output. And more long-term wish would be to convert all my bandmates to in-ears. But not now. :)

Still looking for any advices...
Thank you.
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

Thanks for sharing your experience with others! Those IEMs always sound a bit harsh out of the box, and take a few gigs to break in. Or you can blast loud music through them for several hours as I do. Once you adapt, you miss them when you don't have them.
I think I have gear issues ....