Bad sounds

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
mr-hammond

Bad sounds

Post by mr-hammond »

hey, I compared the sounds with Samplelibrary. They are devoid of the upper band.
the movie is in Polish, but I added subtitles. take a look!
https://youtu.be/vS_omTza5gU?si=qo7-EW8THb5tpwe0
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Bad sounds

Post by FZiegler »

Subtitles were in Polish as well. Automatic translation is a mess in my eyes - I don't understand a lot. But maybe, you were stating that above 10 kHz, there is a loss in signal after having sampled a sound.

I'm pretty sure I don't hear a lot above 12 kHz so I won't be able to hear what you seem to be hearing. Do you think that is an issue for live use or more of a problem when using a Nord in a studio?
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
mr-hammond

Post by mr-hammond »

Try listening to example 8:50
This is not a loss of signal that only bats can hear.
This is, of course, a detail, but I'd love to find out about the compression used by Nord :) Because if we don't mind it, it's very good.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Interrestin topic by all means. Just like you, I'd love to learn more about the signal processing methods.

I can easily hear a difference on the example at 08:50. So it's audible, but is it significant? Don't think so. The sample still works. And the difference can be semi well compensated by boosting high frequencies.

(Don't take this as a "shut up, Nords are great instruments" type of post. Write whatever you want to.)
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
dmamfmgm

Post by dmamfmgm »

I was able to use the subtitles with auto-translation.

From about 6:39 in the video, the author samples a virtual instrument with a lot of high frequency information. The Nord Stage 2 handles it just fine, but the newer models (Nord Wave 2, Nord Stage 4) have an audible drop off in high frequency content.

I think having someone with a Nord Stage 4 or Nord Wave 2 redo the test would mean a lot.

I can think of some things to check. I mean, besides what the video hints at, that the nsmp4 format is drops too much info and it's bad compression. Things to check -
  1. What is the dynamics setting used in the Nord Sample Editor? An un-exported sample project, when it's saved, has these values even if the Nord Sample Editor does not show them.
  2. Double check the obvious stuff: the Nord Wave 2 and Stage 4 have a different synth engine. My Keys to Music did side-by-side comparison (link). Are any filters throwing off the comparison?
  3. What gear is sitting in the chain from the Nord Stage 4 output to the final capture in the video?
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by analogika »

dmamfmgm wrote:[*]Double check the obvious stuff: the Nord Wave 2 and Stage 4 have a different synth engine. My Keys to Music did side-by-side comparison (link). Are any filters throwing off the comparison?
That was super interesting. I was a little annoyed that he didn't state the obvious: The main difference between the Stage 3 and the Stage 4 is that the Stage 3 SuperSaw is permanently in "Unison 3" mode (which also makes it stereo). The Stage 4 SuperSaw isn't "not as stereo" — it's just plain MONO unless you switch on Unison. Once he turned that on on the 4, the Stage 4 turned stereo and too bright — I'm going to assume that the sound difference became negligible and the EQ change was actually unnecessary.

So in that example, the Stage 4 merely gives the option of removing Unison (being off by default), which the Stage 3 does not.
Last edited by analogika on 12 Mar 2024, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio