NS4 no effect trail update?

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Bardenmeister
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Re: NS4 no effect trail update?

Post by Bardenmeister »

Eumel wrote:BUT: as soon as an effect is switched to Global - like it is possible with a NS4 - the audioflow could be changed so the the FX could be switched pre or post. This kind of solution would meet the expectations of many users, as I‘m convinced that they would sacrifice the individual FX to gain the possibility of an „effect trail“.
I'd kinda imagine a solution like this as well but also by including the layer FX delay & reverb too.

Example how I'd like to see this implemented:

- Layer still has Delay & Reverb as Insert Effect
- Clicking Global from any layer on either of delay or reverb effects switches into the global send mode
- Here we can set the delay / reverb parameters on the global level and define the Dry / Wet for the current selected layer
- We can leave the global send mode by switiching off global again.
- Now we are back on the default FX chain mode
- Now we can also configure a delay and reverb on the layer level

This solution would not only fix the problem but will also enhance the sound design capabilities.

My assumption is that the whole FX processing is done digitally which could open up this kind of implementation?
fabiokey
Patch Creator

Post by fabiokey »

let's hope they release a new Firmware soon....
Last edited by fabiokey on 27 Feb 2024, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by analogika »

For those getting their hopes up: This is a pretty fundamental routing change that probably involves considerable reprogramming of the FGPA and reallocating DSP resources. (I am not a DSP programmer, so excuse my laymans' grasp.)

I don't think Clavia has ever made such basic changes within a model run. I wouldn't expect it to happen (if at all) until the Stage 5.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by WannitBBBad »

analogika wrote:For those getting their hopes up: This is a pretty fundamental routing change that probably involves considerable reprogramming of the FGPA and reallocating DSP resources. (I am not a DSP programmer, so excuse my laymans' grasp.)

I don't think Clavia has ever made such basic changes within a model run. I wouldn't expect it to happen (if at all) until the Stage 5.
I tend to agree but hope Clavia takes a good look at it - the delay and reverb effects aren't reacting similar to effects pedals at this point given Clavia inserting instrument level after them. A global option to insert all effects pre or post-instrument level would take care it for me.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
Bjosko
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by Bjosko »

I have a nice partly analog synth, Sequential Take5.
One of the criticisms it are getting is that the effects are post.
So when you switch between presets, there is often a tail following the previous sound.
Nords solution with faders and pre effects might be better in many cases. A solution with both options pr. Program would be ideal.
/Bjørn
lotn73
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage Classic

Post by lotn73 »

Man, so glad this is being discussed. I will hang onto my NS4 for now, but this might indeed be the breaking point for me if they don't fix it.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

Bjosko wrote:I have a nice partly analog synth, Sequential Take5.
One of the criticisms it are getting is that the effects are post.
So when you switch between presets, there is often a tail following the previous sound.
Nords solution with faders and pre effects might be better in many cases. A solution with both options per. Program would be ideal.

Yamaha CK61/88 has the same architecture and side effect (not sure if this also applies to CP and YC family);

Otoh Nord seamless transition actually takes care of that (avoiding trails/mixes when switching patches) and it works also on NS3 where effects are post, so in fact I am not sure there is a 1:1 relationship with the FX positioning in this case, however having a per Program option would be the best (or at least Global)
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Mar 2024, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Post by WannitBBBad »

Bjosko wrote:... A solution with both options pr. Program would be ideal.
I agree.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
mattnakoa
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by mattnakoa »

I'm also very glad this is being talked about.

I recently reported this issue, as well as another I find unworkable (no fader "catch" mode leads to unwanted volume jumps in performance) and got this email response from a Nord rep:

"... an update from Clavia to address these two specific issues is not something I can provide a time table or confirmation for. Both are on their radar, and I have reported them before, but no real concrete answer as to how they will end up proceeding here. I wish I could provide an answer that would stop a potential return and keep the customer satisfied, but unfortunately the behavior he is describing is representative of the current state of the instrument and I do not have any meaningful feedback on how Clavia will proceed on this."

So they're aware of it, but no telling how serious they are about trying to implement a change. A simple "We're not sure if it can work, but we're working on it." from Clavia would help a LOT. Unfortunately, without some sense of which way this will go, I'm probably better off with the Stage 3 for now.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

Given that the Nord Wave 2 has these same design choices and that keyboard has been out for several years longer than the Stage 4 I would not expect them to fix these issues any time soon.