Nord Lead 3 Keyboard Morph Assign to MIDI Note on Mod Env

Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions
lorenzolamasse

Nord Lead 3 Keyboard Morph Assign to MIDI Note on Mod Env

Post by lorenzolamasse »

Hey,

A bit specific question: has anyone been able to figure out the right combination of parameters betweeen :
- keyboard morph assign amount to mod env attack/decay
- mod env attack
- mod env decay

so that when targetting the osc pitch from that envelope in loop mode we get a mod envelope at the same frequency the midi note is ?
I'm currently not sure what the center note is for keyboard modulation (the note for which keyboard modulation is 0, I would have thought it would be the lowest midi note, aka c-2 but that doesn't seem to be it).

Any clue appreciated :D
Cheers !
23skidoo
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Re: Nord Lead 3 Keyboard Morph Assign to MIDI Note on Mod En

Post by 23skidoo »

Page 31 of the manual answers your question about keyboard morph directly:

> Keyboard Morph lets you control the Morphed parameters differently depending on where on the key-
board you play. The minimum source value is the lowest key of the Nord Lead 3 keyboard when no Oc-
tave Shift is used, i.e. note C3, and maximum is the highest key, i.e C5. When you transpose the keyboard
up or down, the Keyboard Morph range will extend beyond the set Morph limits.

I suggest you read the rest of that section too for more information.
Elias

Post by Elias »

The attack and decay parameters might not scale correctly to make a playable oscillator in TET. So even if you can tune it for one note, or even 2 notes, it might not work between and beyond those notes.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
lorenzolamasse

Post by lorenzolamasse »

23skidoo wrote:Page 31 of the manual answers your question about keyboard morph directly:

> Keyboard Morph lets you control the Morphed parameters differently depending on where on the key-
board you play. The minimum source value is the lowest key of the Nord Lead 3 keyboard when no Oc-
tave Shift is used, i.e. note C3, and maximum is the highest key, i.e C5. When you transpose the keyboard
up or down, the Keyboard Morph range will extend beyond the set Morph limits.

I suggest you read the rest of that section too for more information.
Thanks for your answer but that doesn't unfortunately get me anywhere nearer. Firstly I don't get why the manual mentions C3 being the lowest and C5 the highest, as these are not the lowest and highest keys on the NL3 which is a 4 octaves span ?? Highest note is something like B7 :/ (and on top of that as I actually own the rack version, not the key one)

And secondly, as the comment below notices, knowing the info about the range of the morph is only the first step, as I would need the right combination of envelope values and modulation amount so that envelope changes to follow the pitch. It might not be possible of course across the whole keyboard span, but if I can get it to work nicely in, say, a 2 octave range that's be enough...

Cheers,
23skidoo
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Post by 23skidoo »

I assume that's a typo in the manual as for the exact C<number> references. The fact remains that the lowest note of the 4-octave keyboard version keyboard is the reference point for no modulation on the keyboard morph (and it's a C-C keyboard, BTW). I have a keyboard NL3 and I can confirm this. I don't expect the rack version to have a different reference.

As for the rest of what you want, someone else will have to answer, as I haven't tried to do the exact thing you want to do there. But the whole point of this is to try around and find out, isn't it? :)
Last edited by 23skidoo on 05 Mar 2024, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Marko
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Post by Mr. Marko »

real brain teaser here for me...love this thing, but never tried to morph the mod env in this way.

just added kybd morphed mod env rates to a simple lead patch and routed the mod env to Shape 1 with FM Sawtooth engaged and got some really gnarly side band frequencies!

not sure I can contribute anything to the specific goal of the original request but subjects like these continue to open my eyes and ears to new realms for this awesome synth!

I hope to see more NL3 discussions in this forum...nice way to start a saturday in my studio.
NS4 / NS3 / NS-EX / Modular G1 / G2 / G2X / NL3
Basically Too Many Nords to Haul to a Gig