Midi controller comparable to Nord Electro 6d waterfall keys

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
purplesky

Midi controller comparable to Nord Electro 6d waterfall keys

Post by purplesky »

I just got a Nord Electro 5D with the waterfall keys. It's a nice piece of gear, however, I'm wondering if it's a little overkill for me. I'm wondering if anyone knows any midi controllers that have a comparable FATAR keybed to my electro. I was considering going with a midi controller and keyscape. I think there are good sounds on the Nord but it seems like Keyscape might sound a little better and it would be a little cheaper if I paired it with a midi controller.

Just FYI - I don't play gigs and am mainly learning piano at home. I prioritize a good piano sound and preferably nice rhodes sounds. I like the waterfall keys as they're not too difficult to press down but have a little give. I have a little arthritis so I'm just trying to be careful.
23skidoo
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Re: Midi controller comparable to Nord Electro 6d waterfall

Post by 23skidoo »

By far the best piano sound in a computer plugin/app is PianoTEQ.
And if you want to learn piano specifically, waterfall keys are the worst, as they're nowhere close to anything like a real piano keyboard.
I personally find controller+computer highly annoying and complex, as there are many more things to fiddle with no matter what solution you go with.

But you do you.

Studiologic makes controllers with similar Fatar actions.
purplesky

Post by purplesky »

Thanks for the advice 23. I just tried the demo for PianoTEQ and honestly didn't like the sounds that much. I don't know if "learning piano" in the traditional way is accurate. I'm moreso learning theory and my way around the piano. I'll look into the Studiologic controllers.

I like the Nord size (I have a 61 key electro) which is perfect for my room. I get you with fiddling with a VST, however my computer is right next to my Nord and they're hooked up to my computer monitors so it's all just right there anyways.
vojtech-h
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Post by vojtech-h »

Small note ... 61 keys can be an uncomfortably small keyboard for piano repertoire
These users thanked the author vojtech-h for the post:
purplesky