Why do presets not store settings of modwheel and exp pedals

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Macnl
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Why do presets not store settings of modwheel and exp pedals

Post by Macnl »

Like the titel says...
I have the nordstage 4.. and its a nice keyboard..
I think its common that the presets doesent store the value's of de modwheel or external pedal's.. for nord..
What i find kind of anoying.. and strange because every setting is store'd.. but not that.
Like in mainstage.. you can set the value when selecting the preset.
Or do i miss something?? or is there a work around??

hope someone recognize this?? and how is dealing with it..

Mac
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Why do presets not store settings of modwheel and exp pe

Post by FZiegler »

There is no work around and no offset on Nord instruments: The value of a MW or CP is always the actual setting.

You can send both values via MIDI, but I don't think it will be kept: It's just an intermittent value that will be immediately overwritten by the next value read from the controller - and will result in jumping values.

What do you want to achieve?

BTW questions starting with WHY are to be directed towards Nord, not the user forum. We tend to answer questions starting with HOW or WHAT. ;)
Last edited by FZiegler on 18 Feb 2024, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
Berretje
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Macnl

Post by Macnl »

I'm used of the storage of the pedal's too (mainstage).
So... that if you choose a preset.. it sounds the way it should be.. (and you can control it.. (if you want))
Now.. i constantly have to look at the modweel and pedal if you start a new song.
Thats why..
But.. like you say.. i can't think of a way to solve this.
jonilikeskeys
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by jonilikeskeys »

If I need the wheel to be down at the beginning of a song, I actually draw it in my sheet music :thumbup:
Otherwise I try to do as much as possible with the control pedal, because that one isn't as easy to forget!
And the wheel is only 2nd choice...
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

This is something that requires practice and a bit of double checking on the gig. I have gotten myself in the habit of zeroing out the mod wheel and control pedal at the start of each new song to avoid surprises.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
Macnl

Post by Macnl »

But then again.. what would be problem to save the settings… (like all the rest of the buttons/dials)..
Like mainstage does…
In my eyes… it doesn't make any sense to save everything but not the modwheel and pedal..
But im afraid thats my own issue..
cgrafx
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by cgrafx »

Macnl wrote:But then again.. what would be problem to save the settings… (like all the rest of the buttons/dials)..
Like mainstage does…
In my eyes… it doesn't make any sense to save everything but not the modwheel and pedal..
But im afraid thats my own issue..
The MOD Wheel and Pedal are NOT settings they are active modifier controls. MainStage does NOT have an actual MOD wheel or a Pedal by virtue of being software so those virtual Wheel/Pedal modifiers can have a saved state, but generally speaking real keyboards (as opposed to software) don't save those parameters as they are always active-state controls (Just like the keys on the keyboard which also don't get saved)
Last edited by cgrafx on 05 Mar 2024, 06:15, edited 2 times in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey