Best Grand Piano Samples

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
Nordine
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: Best Grand Piano Samples

Post by Nordine »

Gambold wrote:MAKE COUNT FOR GRANDS:
You forgot to mention:

Yamaha CFX (yes a cfx would be a winner!!) and Ravenscroft 275.
These users thanked the author Nordine for the post:
Gambold
—Nordine

Jazz pianist & co-author of "Jazzology: The Encyclopaedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians"
Nord Piano 5 (88)
Roland RD-88
Korg Triton Extreme
M-Audio Keys 49 MK3
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
Audient Evo 4
Gambold
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by Gambold »

I'm sure many of you have seen the great video of how Nord keyboards are made. It's over ten years old but I'm sure things are still pretty much the same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblYpjG ... dkeyboards

What I would love is a video on how they sample their pianos. Do they do them all onsite, or at a special studio in Stockholm? That would mean shipping some very expensive pianos to the recording location. Or do they go to studio where the piano is housed? What software do they use (do they use the Sample Editor they provide us), and how do they set up the microphones? How long does it take?
Last edited by Gambold on 15 Feb 2024, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Spider
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by Spider »

Gambold wrote:What I would love is a video on how they sample their pianos. Do they do them all onsite, or at a special studio in Stockholm? That would mean shipping some very expensive pianos to the recording location. Or do they go to studio where the piano is housed?
Most likely it's a mixture of all of that, depending on what pianos are available, budget etc.
The least likely option is that they bring a piano in their factory, I see very little sense in doing that.
Also, in the past they simply purchased high-quality samples from third-party producers (I believe most of their first generations pianos were from sampletekk?)

Anyway, that's probably the one thing they will never disclose, their piano library is a big part of their marketing and their appeal to customers, they surely want to keep that private.
Nordine
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Nordine »

I think they would travel to sample the piano(s) they like maybe they bring with them their mics, laptops, and all the tools they'll need to. I don't think they might bring a piano to their factory for sampling...maybe that's too much fees doing so.
But who knows, as there are so many sampled pianos online, they might buy licenses for using them.
—Nordine

Jazz pianist & co-author of "Jazzology: The Encyclopaedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians"
Nord Piano 5 (88)
Roland RD-88
Korg Triton Extreme
M-Audio Keys 49 MK3
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
Audient Evo 4