Noisy keys..felt replacement help

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
TopoTony
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Noisy keys..felt replacement help

Post by TopoTony »

I’ve got the original Piano 88. It’s over 10 years old now and sounds like it. The keys thump and thwack loud enough to cause my wife complain about the pounding sounds. Granted, our house is not huge, but I close my studio door and it’s still a problem in the rest of the house.

I was told it could be fixed by replacing the keybed felt. Unfortunately, the nearest authorized Nord repair is 50 miles away and they guessed it might be as much as $500 to do the replacement And, take a month!!!!

I want to see if I can do the repair. I’ve taken apart a lot of computers and various gear, but it would sure be great if I could get some documentation help. A primer on how to do it. I also am not sure if Nord will sell the felt to me since they don’t support DIY. So I’d need to figure out how to get that stuff.

Anyone have advice?
Suavek
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Re: Noisy keys..felt replacement help

Post by Suavek »

I am surprised NP5 is lacking dust seal gasketting above keys, most pianos have. The gap above key is so large , I had silicon key labels my son uses, slipping through it ending up inside the piano. I know it sounds ridiculous but same happens with the dust. Not sure what's Nord thinking about this is but it ain't right for premium piano.