Nord grand 2 just released

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Nord grand 2 just released

Post by Schorsch »

Gambold wrote:lavia positioning its Stage, Piano, and likely the upcoming new Electro for just the 1%.
It seems that this 1% feeds them quite well. Bringing the price down significantly will probably bring up the number of units sold significantly, but at a much lower margin per unit. At the same time it requires a heavy investment in expanding the manufacturing capabilities (assuming that their capabilities are currently in line with the numbers of units build) and as such also a serious increase of financial risk. Why would you do that as a company if your sale and profits are solid and your CAPEX and OPEX is well managed to meet expectations of their owners/shareholders? Growth is not always desirable if it includes too much risk, and staying with a limited but financially strong customer base is sometimes the better strategy. Look at luxury car manufacturers …..
Last edited by Schorsch on 26 Jan 2024, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
agcohn
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Post by agcohn »

Schorsch wrote:
Gambold wrote:lavia positioning its Stage, Piano, and likely the upcoming new Electro for just the 1%.
It seems that this 1% feeds them quite well. Bringing the price down significantly will probably bring up the number of units sold significantly, but at a much lower margin per unit. At the same time it requires a heavy investment in expanding the manufacturing capabilities (assuming that their capabilities are currently in line with the numbers of units build) and as such also a serious increase of financial risk. Why would you do that as a company if your sale and profits are solid and your CAPEX and OPEX is well managed to meet expectations of their owners/shareholders? Growth is not always desirable if it includes too much risk, and staying with a limited but financially strong customer base is sometimes the better strategy. Look at luxury car manufacturers …..
Well, we can't be talking about the actual top 1% (of wealthy people), as those are the types who don't think twice about buying $200K+ Steinways and Bosendorfers. I don't think Nord's are on their radar.

Maybe the top 1% of keyboardists / musicians, but that is still a pretty size-able market. At the end of the day, I don't think that the cost of Nord products are out of line with other professional stage equipment / instruments. High-end acoustic instruments can be in the $3-20K+ range.

Yes, Nords have gotten pricey for home / enthusiast musicians, but that is ultimately not the primary target market for Nord. That's why companies like Yamaha / Roland / Casio / Kawai are great, because they are able to produce a wide range of products in bulk, but they also have a significantly higher overhead than Nord and rely on much higher levels of sales than Nord.
These users thanked the author agcohn for the post:
Schorsch
Theliberator88
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Post by Theliberator88 »

I’m concerned about the removal of the panel lock on NG2. Did they really do that ? If so, why ?
I own the NG 1 and have to use the panel lock during gigs all the time.
StefVR

Post by StefVR »

I guess few people would use the grand on stage that’s what Piano 5 is for. Less weight easier to transport and more damage resilient built. Most grand users keep it home and in the studio for sure and don’t worry about panel lock.
Benny

Post by Benny »

StefVR wrote:I guess few people would use the grand on stage that’s what Piano 5 is for. Less weight easier to transport and more damage resilient built. Most grand users keep it home and in the studio for sure and don’t worry about panel lock.
The Panel Lock on the Nord Grand is really useful to me whether live, studio or at home (even when I'm playing it at home, it really isn't fun to have settings change in the middle of playing).

I find it interesting that the Nord Grand 2 doesn't have one and I'm curious to find out why. I'm hoping to try one out to see if the panel itself is angled differently etc. It would be great if the new design has made the panel lock unnecessary.
StefVR

Post by StefVR »

I have a nord Grand 1 and consider whether it’s worth the upgrade. I got a stage 4 too and know already that I don’t really need the 2 Piano Layer split although it’s a little bonus. Same goes for extra effects.

It all comes down to the “upgraded keybed”. Whatever that really means as both have already triple action and for me as someone who has a 2019 Yamaha C6x Grand Piano the best feel of any digital I ever played (still far from the real deal but great).

So I guess I have to wait till someone has one in store to play. All these Namm interviews were very vague to say at least.