Couple questions from new Piano 5 user

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
Suavek
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Couple questions from new Piano 5 user

Post by Suavek »

Hello, got my Piano 5 recently and looking for recommendations for decent monitor speakers up to $500 for a pair. I heard KRK RP7 series and Yamaha HS5 monitors are pretty good. Anyone uses these or is happy with other brand model? Thanks in advance.

Second is about using the sustain pedal. I wonder if I am doing something wrong with it as I am unable to reproduce acoustic piano sustain pedal action, which on Piano 5 doesn't let me to control reduction of sustain action by momentarily depressing pedal when playing next notes. Simply it acts as a switch so once it's depressed even for a moment, the sound is completely cut off unlike in my acoustic piano. Suggestions?
Last edited by Suavek on 31 Jan 2024, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Nordlicht
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Re: Couple questions from new Piano 5 user

Post by Nordlicht »

Suavek wrote:Hello, got my Piano 5 recently and looking for recommendations for decent monitor speakers up to $500 for a pair. I heard KRK RP7 series and Yamaha HS5 monitors are pretty good. Anyone uses these or is happy with other brand model?
I assume you want the speakers for playing just at home?
Therefore I can really and strongly recommend the Nord Piano Monitors. They produce a better and more realistic piano sound than for example my Neumann KH 120 studio monitors. Big advantage besides the fitting optic: the sound comes basically "out of the instrument", you get the best illusion of playing an acoustic instrument.
Last edited by Nordlicht on 01 Feb 2024, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Nordlicht for the post:
Suavek
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Suavek

Post by Suavek »

Nordlicht wrote: I assume you want the speakers for playing just at home?
Therefore I can really and strongly recommend the Nord Piano Monitors. They produce a better and more realistic piano sound than for example my Neumann KH 120 studio monitors. Big advantage besides the fitting optic: the sounds comes basically "out of the instrument", you get the best illusion of playing an acoustic instrument.
Yes, home only. Now I understand why Nord monitors price is steep. But that's exactly what I am looking for which is to have the sound coming out of the instrument.
busterkeys
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by busterkeys »

I would go with the Yamaha HS series before dropping $900 on those Nord speakers. it's cute that they're red and have brackets to attach them to the back of the keyboard. but a set (used, if possible) of HS8s would be a LOT better deal. another budget option would be something like a set of used Bose 301 speakers with a mid range amp (doesn't need to be but around 30-60 watts.) they sound great and can be found all day on facebook marketplace for peanuts.
Nord Electro 6
Nord Wave 2
Nord Lead A1
Nord Organ C2
Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha Motif XS6
Korg Kronos X 73
DSI REV2
Suavek

Post by Suavek »

busterkeys wrote:I would go with the Yamaha HS series before dropping $900 on those Nord speakers. it's cute that they're red and have brackets to attach them to the back of the keyboard. but a set (used, if possible) of HS8s would be a LOT better deal. another budget option would be something like a set of used Bose 301 speakers with a mid range amp (doesn't need to be but around 30-60 watts.) they sound great and can be found all day on facebook marketplace for peanuts.
Thanks, I followed this tip because I also agree, these red Nord speakers are tempting but I doubt they don't have a fall off at low frequency range, something that is defined by size of the woofer chamber. I found couple Yamaha HS7 monitors in new condition for $200 ea. Hope they sound as good as unknown setup I beard back at Guitar Center before getting my Piano 5.
Nordlicht
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Post by Nordlicht »

Suavek wrote:Thanks, I followed this tip because I also agree, these red Nord speakers are tempting but I doubt they don't have a fall off at low frequency range, something that is defined by size of the woofer chamber. I found couple Yamaha HS7 monitors in new condition for $200 ea. Hope they sound as good as unknown setup I beard back at Guitar Center before getting my Piano 5.
Then really good luck with the Yamahas. I got the HS7 in the past but sold them because they didn’t sound balanced (for my ears) with professionally produced commercial music (not mine ;) ) So I switched to Neumann KH 120 and the sun was shining. But even with them the Nord pianos didn’t have the authenticity and richness that they have with good headphones. The Nord monitors are so far (again, for me) the best medium to reproduce this sound and to have a quite realistic experience of listening to an acoustic piano right in front of me. And they actually deliver quite a lot of bass.

But of course it strongly depends on individual hearing and sound habits/expectations and the room acoustics.
I’m curious about your experience and looking forward to any feedback.
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Suavek

Post by Suavek »

Nordlicht wrote:.

But of course it strongly depends on individual hearing and sound habits/expectations and the room acoustics.
I’m curious about your experience and looking forward to any feedback.
Absolutely, will find out when I get my HS7s. It may be good, may be wrong, will see...or rather hear.