Can you enable String Res on electric pianos?

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Can you enable String Res on electric pianos?

Post by maxpiano »

ElectroStrat wrote:
maxpiano wrote:
FZiegler wrote:Ballad EP1 is a layered piano sound, right? So maybe part of it has string resonance...
Good observation, if that Ballad EP1 is a layer of an acoustic (or CP) + an EP/Digital piano, the acoustic part of it may be the reason why String Res is applicable in that case.
The Ballad EP1 is a layered digital piano sound. All "layers" piano are in the Digital category.
So there should be no string resonance for these piano sounds.

But there is a flaw in the latest v6.0 version of the sound where string resonance can be activated.
This is not the case with the v5.2.

There are other flaws in latest version of acoustic pianos where the soft / long release is not available (e.g Grand Imperial v6.1).

For these sounds, I reverted back to the v5 versions.

I will create a post that recap all piano sounds with such flaws.
I am not 100% sure, yes they are in the Digital category (EDIT: actually they are in Misc on my NS3) but we don't know exactly what is the source of the original sound (what if it was a CP80+Rhodes/DX7 EP, as used in the 80's, to which that sample description refers? If so it could be not flaw in 6.x but an enhancement compared to 5.x (just speculating, only Nord has details)
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Feb 2024, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
ElectroStrat
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by ElectroStrat »

maxpiano wrote:I am not 100% sure, yes they are in the Digital category but we don't know exactly what is the source of the original sound (what if it was a CP80+Rhodes/DX7 EP, as used in the 80's, to which that sample description refers? If so it could be not flaw in 6.x but an enhancement compared to 5.x (just speculating, only Nord has details)
You're right, we cannot be 100% sure.

But with an acoustic piano sound like the White Grand, I can hear a clear sound difference when string resonance is enabled, especially with the sustain pedal engaged.
With the Ballad EP1 v6.0, I can't hear any difference between enabling or not the string resonance.

I'm interested to know if someone can hear a sound difference if any.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

ElectroStrat wrote:
maxpiano wrote:I am not 100% sure, yes they are in the Digital category but we don't know exactly what is the source of the original sound (what if it was a CP80+Rhodes/DX7 EP, as used in the 80's, to which that sample description refers? If so it could be not flaw in 6.x but an enhancement compared to 5.x (just speculating, only Nord has details)

But with an acoustic piano sound like the White Grand, I can hear a clear sound difference when string resonance is enabled, especially with the sustain pedal engaged.
With the Ballad EP1 v6.0, I can't hear any difference between enabling or not the string resonance.

I agree, wether or not difference is heard when switching String Res= ON on that sound that can actually mean something to classify it as a flaw or not :-)
Cbas
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Cbas »

ElectroStrat wrote:

I can definitely hear a difference with String Res ON/OFF on the Ballad EP1 v6.0. If you play softly without the sustain pedal engaged in the lower mid register. You can hear some overtones singing along. I don't think I can hear a difference with the sustain pedal engaged though. I am not sure if this is a flaw or not, but in some ways I kind of like it :shock:. It does seem a little strange though.

It also works if you hold down notes, and then play other notes (all this without the sustain pedal engaged). Then the held notes will sing along.
Last edited by Cbas on 01 Feb 2024, 20:03, edited 5 times in total.
Nordine
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Nordine »

Text from Nord Piano 5 pdf manual: (Page12)

String Resonance refers to the acoustic phenomenon that occurs when strings, or parts of strings, resonate at their fundamental or harmonic frequencies when other strings are played. When STRING RES is turned on all notes you play will affect each other to reproduce the wonderful acoustics that occurs inside an acoustic grand or upright piano. Also, when the sustain pedal is pressed down the fact that all dampers are being lifted will further add to the resonance effect. The sound level of the string resonance effect can be set in the Sound menu, see page 22.

[*] If a piano is selected that is not compatible with the String Resonance feature, this function will be disabled. This applies to e.g. small (Sml) versions of the grand pianos and uprights, and the electric, digital and layer pianos.
https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/def ... on%20D.pdf

I think they can be enabled.
Last edited by Nordine on 01 Feb 2024, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
—Nordine

Jazz pianist, composer, arranger & co-author of "Jazzology: The Encyclopaedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians"
Nord Piano 5 (88)
Roland RD-88
Korg Triton Extreme
M-Audio Keys 49 MK3
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
Audient Evo 4
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

Cbas wrote:
ElectroStrat wrote:

I can definitely hear a difference with String Res ON/OFF on the Ballad EP1 v6.0. If you play softly without the sustain pedal engaged in the lower mid register. You can hear some overtones singing along. I don't think I can hear a difference with the sustain pedal engaged though. I am not sure if this is a flaw or not, but in some ways I kind of like it :shock:. It does seem a little strange though.

It also works if you hold down notes, and then play other notes (all this without the sustain pedal engaged). Then the held notes will sing along.
Yes, I just made the same test, whether this was intended or not, it actually works so I wouldn't call it a flaw/bug (unless actually Nord did not intend to have it like this... :roll: )
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Feb 2024, 20:53, edited 3 times in total.
ElectroStrat

Post by ElectroStrat »

Nordine wrote:Text from Nord Piano 5 pdf manual: (Page12)
[*] If a piano is selected that is not compatible with the String Resonance feature, this function will be disabled. This applies to e.g. small (Sml) versions of the grand pianos and uprights, and the electric, digital and layer pianos.
I'm not an English native speaking, but my understanding is that the String Resonance will be disabled for layer pianos.
ElectroStrat

Post by ElectroStrat »

maxpiano wrote:
Cbas wrote: I can definitely hear a difference with String Res ON/OFF on the Ballad EP1 v6.0. If you play softly without the sustain pedal engaged in the lower mid register. You can hear some overtones singing along. I don't think I can hear a difference with the sustain pedal engaged though. I am not sure if this is a flaw or not, but in some ways I kind of like it :shock:. It does seem a little strange though.

Yes, I just made the same test, whether this was intended or not, it actually works so I wouldn't call it a flaw/bug (unless Nord did not intend to have it like this... :roll: )
OK, thanks, I will try again later tonight for curiosity.
ElectroStrat

Post by ElectroStrat »

Indeed, there is a slight sound difference when you play softly.
I also noticed that myself last year but have just forgotten the "weird effect".
(https://www.norduserforum.com/general-n ... ml#p162313)

Given what is written in user manuals, I don't think this was intended.