NAMM 2024

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
Tasten-Bert
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: NAMM 2024

Post by Tasten-Bert »

maxpiano wrote:
analogika wrote: If you implement it for ALL pots, you still cannot have it affect the master volume pot. That is always absolute, and never saved as part of the program. So then you have ONE pot that works completely differently from all other pots on the machine, but looks exactly the same. That's a terrific user-interface no-go.
Actually @analogica, the Yamaha CK88 has that exactly in that way: you can set all pots/faders to work in a "catch" mode instead of "jump" (default), but of course master volume will not be affected and to me it is not a bad implementation, I find it useful and at least better than having no option ("jump only")
No matter whether I‘d prefer the one or the other - the nord stage 4 88 is at selling position 6 right now whereas the Yamaha CK88 sits at position 83 in the same product category (source: thomann).

Can‘t be that wrong, those Swedish chaps.

Cheers.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |
[hr]
... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Walker31415
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Walker31415 »

Rusty Mike wrote:I've mentioned it before in this forum - If you don't like the product (or the company), you are free to buy something else.
I think I came across as a bit too cynical in my original post! :lol: :shifty:

To be clear, I absolutely love my Nord Stage 4 because of all the features that it has and others don't, and its very intuitive layout that happens to be copied by companies like Yamaha. Nothing can compete with the Nord, especially in the synthesizer area. It's just the right amount of customizable and easy to use. They make the best stage piano and therefore they get to charge whatever they want for it to bring in the most amount of profits vs. sales.

While, yes, the phenomenon I described can be seen in other industries as well, including the mobile phone industry. With the last few releases of iPhones, there has been no revolutionary upgrades to the phone like the earlier generations, with just new software features only available to the latest model so that people keep buying. Having such a big part of the market allows the company to rest on its laurels for awhile and control the rate of innovation.

Yamaha releasing an even better stage piano (something like a "Reface Pro" - 2 YC organ, 2 CP piano, 3-4 CS AND DX synths with the same amount of control as the Nord's A1/Wave2, as well as sample and maybe even piano library would finally put it on the same level as the Nord, which *could* bring prices down.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

analogika wrote:
Walker31415 wrote:See: Nord doesn't bother to do a simple change that would allow catch rather than jump faders
Since this has been on the wish list since the Stage 3 did away with LED encoders in 2017, and Clavia "bothered" to do a WHOLE lot more changes in the Stage 4 that took considerably more effort, it's pretty safe to assume that they don't want to do a "simple change" that isn't as simple as you make it.

There are a number of considerations: You need to add a setting to make the behaviour switchable. Do you want it switchable per program, or system-wide? Do you use it for ALL front settings? Is it catch, or relative scaling? Depending on which setting (distortion or instrument volume or filter cutoff or reverb depth), different settings may be useful.

If you implement it for ALL pots, you still cannot have it affect the master volume pot. That is always absolute, and never saved as part of the program. So then you have ONE pot that works completely differently from all other pots on the machine, but looks exactly the same. That's a terrific user-interface no-go.

Just because you want it doesn't mean you've thought it through, or that it's in any way "easy" to do, I'm afraid.
It's definitely easy to do, as virtually every modern synth has this feature available globally. Whether Nord feels it is important is another matter.
Gambold
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by Gambold »

>I would dismiss the hubris thing<

Oh, I don't think its hubris. More like senescence, where there is low energy, a general disinterest in making any changes...even a bit of sloth. My take is that the 1-2 real decision makers are well into their 70s, or older. I haven't heard of any Nordelius Jr taking the leadership reins and bringing in a new posse of younger, more energetic managers.

> Many people are turned off by the red color for whatever reason.< That's just corporate laziness. See above comment. Offer them in black as well, especially the Grand. How hard is it, really? Buy some paint.

>And then there is the price premium.< Yeah, they noticeably ratcheted up their pricing after Covid. A $6000 Stage 4. It's not a good move.

>I also think their competition is gaining pace. < That's to be expected - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and Nord has been a groundbreaker for a long time. Problem is Nord doesn't seem to think there's anything to do about the competition catching up but raise prices. A radically-new Electro 7 (even a RENAMED one) with modern appointments and a sane price could turn the market back on its ear.

>If you don't like the product (or the company), you are free to buy something else.<

Love it or leave it? That's a little harsh. The whole point is that we who criticize DO like product, we just want to see it get better and stay in front of the pack. I mean seriously...does anyone here think Nord is still the obvious best choice that they were five years ago? Or are the mighty slipping, while ownership nods?

Am I really going to have to become a Korg Person? Or another member of the seething mass of Yamaha Drones? Please, no...
Last edited by Gambold on 31 Jan 2024, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
catosim
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by catosim »

Gambold wrote:My take is that the 1-2 real decision makers are well into their 70s, or older. I haven't heard of any Nordelius Jr taking the leadership
:clap: :clap:
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B