Are videos in postings are deleted after some time?

Comments, suggestions, questions about this forum? Post it here! Also for test purposes or Off-Topic discussions.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Are videos in postings are deleted after some time?

Post by maxpiano »

Johannes wrote:Hi,

yes indeed works on Windows/Chrome.
But there seems to be a MAC issue. If someone finds the culprit please post here maybe a JS issue that can be checked easily.
I am afraid will work only after the hopefully within a few months' time planned big overhaul.
Hope you can make it work via downloading. Really sorry for that but without a Mac at my disposal very hard to debug.
cheers
Hi Johannes nice to read from you :)

I think the explanation may be here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201290 ("If a media file doesn't open or play on your Mac, iPhone, or iPad")
Last edited by maxpiano on 24 Jan 2024, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by analogika »

maxpiano wrote:
Johannes wrote:Hi,

yes indeed works on Windows/Chrome.
But there seems to be a MAC issue. If someone finds the culprit please post here maybe a JS issue that can be checked easily.
I am afraid will work only after the hopefully within a few months' time planned big overhaul.
Hope you can make it work via downloading. Really sorry for that but without a Mac at my disposal very hard to debug.
cheers
Hi Johannes nice to read from you :)

I think the explanation may be here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201290 ("If a media file doesn't open or play on your Mac, iPhone, or iPad")
mp3 don't work, and they are definitely natively playable file types — as are the .mp4 in question (they work when downloaded).

I wonder if the browser just needs the extension appended to the URL or some such.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

analogika wrote:
mp3 don't work, and they are definitely natively playable file types — as are the .mp4 in question (they work when downloaded).

I wonder if the browser just needs the extension appended to the URL or some such.
"Natively playable" if you have a player that manages the format (embedded in the browser in this case), on my Mac Mini with Catalina (from where I am typing) that video works fine on Chrome but not on Safari, which (at least in my version) seems not to have a player for it (same for the .mp3, like the demos in Nord Sound Library, for example)
Last edited by maxpiano on 24 Jan 2024, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by analogika »

maxpiano wrote:
analogika wrote:

"Natively playable" if you have a player that manages the format (embedded in the browser in this case), on my Mac Mini with Catalina (from where I am typing) that video works fine on Chrome but not on Safari, which (at least in my version) seems not to have a player for it (same for the .mp3, like the demos in Nord Sound Library, for example)
I believe embedded audio and video files play fine on other forums, though.

I meant "natively playable" by the system. You don't need any "player" to manage them, because the operating system itself can do that. (Since they work when downloaded, natively, in the iOS Files.app.) The browser in that case literally has to do nothing but pass the data on to the system, AFAIK. .MP3 and .MP4 are both natively supported file formats, and the standard codecs are also natively supported by the system.

I am not a developer, but it seems to me that this is not a case of the player not supporting the format, but the forum software actively breaking native support for the formats.
Last edited by analogika on 26 Jan 2024, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

analogika wrote:
maxpiano wrote:
analogika wrote:

I believe embedded audio and video files play fine on other forums, though.
I have a similar problem on some other forums also, but not all. I guess it depends on how videos are embedded, the example linked by Wolfgang has this HTML code

<video src="https://www.norduserforum.com/download/ ... 7a4b8c76a2" style="width:100%;max-width:720px;max-height:720px;" controls="">
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

which is how NUF does, maybe other forums don't use the <video> HTML tag but a direct pointer to the file (or other methods to embed)?
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Jan 2024, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.