Nord Wave 1: odd phasing issue with oscillator 1 + chorus

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
smrfz

Nord Wave 1: odd phasing issue with oscillator 1 + chorus

Post by smrfz »

I have noticed that when the chorus is engaged, oscillator 1 seems to vary in the phase relationship with the chorus on every new note so that the chorus sound is not consistent. If you hit a staccato note repeatedly the tone will change quite noticeably. Bizarrely this does not happen with oscillator 2, but since they are usually mixed it's hard to avoid. It happens with every oscillator type and also happens on both outputs whether stereo or mono. Has anyone got anymore insight into what's going on here/how to resolve (if at all)?
Last edited by smrfz on 21 Nov 2023, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Nord Wave 1: odd phasing issue with oscillator 1 + choru

Post by Mr_-G- »

Could this be because the delayed signal (a chorus uses a delay line modulated by an LFO) is not in sync with the note on? I.e. the LFO is free running and each repeated note gets the LFO modulation at a different portion of the cycle?). If that were the case, I doubt there is a simple 'solution'.
smrfz

Post by smrfz »

Mr_-G- wrote:Could this be because the delayed signal (a chorus uses a delay line modulated by an LFO) is not in sync with the note on? I.e. the LFO is free running and each repeated note gets the LFO modulation at a different portion of the cycle?). If that were the case, I doubt there is a simple 'solution'.
No, because this only happens on oscillator 1. It also doesn't happen using an external chorus.
kayvon
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Post by kayvon »

Hhh, very interesting. Indeed there is different phasing between the oscillators when going through the chorus. Very astute of you to notice.

I don't find it to be the case on slot B though, just slot A.

I've just posted a thread about a problem with one of my Waves where when I turned it on slot A was almost completely silent. I wonder how the different slots & respective oscillators are arranged vis-a-vis the digital architecture. Intriguing!
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

kayvon wrote:I've just posted a thread about a problem with one of my Waves where when I turned it on slot A was almost completely silent. I wonder how the different slots & respective oscillators are arranged vis-a-vis the digital architecture. Intriguing!
This old thread about NS2 "internals" has also a picture of the NW 1 inside, it has 4 DSPs so maybe 2 per Slot (I guess, maybe 1 for the synth + 1 for FX) https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stag ... t2647.html
Last edited by maxpiano on 24 Jan 2024, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.