Are there any happy HP keyboard owners?

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
Andrew Silvestri
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Re: Are there any happy HP keyboard owners?

Post by Andrew Silvestri »

Hi everyone... I'm a new owner of a NE4HP and in order to reduce that clicking clatter when the keys are released, on a fast playing, do you think a fabric strip placed between the keybed and the chassis could work, somehow?
Rusty Mike
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by Rusty Mike »

Sorry, but no. It's not about any kind of contact issue between the keys and the chassis. It's about the lubrication in the actual mechanism, including some slight level of contact between the inside of the keys and the action's "skeleton" structure. What you are hearing is more of a sticking sound that any kind of impact related knocking.

As I've said before, this is not a situation where something is broken or on the verge of breaking. It's annoying, yes, but not threatening the instrument's playability.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Andrew Silvestri
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Post by Andrew Silvestri »

Thank You for the quick reply!! You are right, is more a nuisance than anything else and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but y'know, everytime you change gear there had to be a period of acclimatization, where every little (or less little) noise or lack is amplified and observed under a microscope.. Thank You again and happy music to everyone!!
Elphi
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by Elphi »

[quote="magpie85"]I bought the E3HP many years ago. I still enjoy playing it and church go mad for it when I bring it along and play there. It is noisy when using headphones, but not outside what I would expect from a keybed of this type.

the "weighted" (Fatar) keys of the Nord Electrio HP
how to solve the problem of bouncing keys ?

First I want to let you know that it is not my intention to criticize anyone, or a brand. I just want to share my experience with you regarding the playing pleasure of a good keyboard bed; I have been a pianist all my life. On stage I played the electric Hondo upright piano and Yamaha CP70, both with real strings (heavy !). Nowadays I own a KAWAI MP7 with the touch of real piano, at least; close. Nord uses the MP7 action in their Nord 5 Grand ! (see video) I live in Greece and had a gig in Holland, my homecountry. So I ordered the popular Nord, an Electro 5 HP without seeing or playing it first... I was quite disappointed in the way the HP plays. You can't compare the HP with a MP7, but I read good reviews about the playability of the HP. The weights and balance ratios of the keys used in de HP are not correct. This causes the hammers to bounce when struck, the plastic cover can even crack (see video). Very annoying, especially since the sounds bounce too. A soft touch is almost impossible. I experienced a Fatar (Italian) before with mij Ensonic TS12 (heavy !) and didn't like it then. Back in Greece I decided to adjust the Nord HP keys to my taste. You should know that I took a three-year piano technique course, so I know about key balance and weights.
In the pictures and video you can see how I did it, and maybe you can do it yourself; it's a relief ! It's not difficult: pull the axle out of the frame and all the hammers will fall out by themselves... They don't need to be numbered because they are all the same. On a real piano however the high keys play lighter than the heavy bass ones.
My first attempt was just to drill a hole in the iron, but the weight remained too heavy. The white keys all weigh 30 grams, and the black ones weigh 20 grams each.
I sawed off the white mallets to 23 grams (high notes) increasing to 27 grams (lower keys). The central area has 25 grams. I made the black hammers 16 to 18 grams. Sawing by hand is a lot of work, but no damage is made. It is not recommended to use a grinding wheel, because then the plastic melts I noticed. To prevent the iron weights from falling out, I used 16 and 22mm shrink tubing, heated by a paint burner in the lowest position (125 degrees) Before putting the hammers back in, I applied some more grease to all pivots. There is enough excess grease to use. Replacing the axle is a bit tricky, but doable with some patience. I couldn't wait to try out the playability.... The result was astonishing: hardly any bouncing keys !! Soft play is now possible and sliding with the organ is also much smoother. Incomprehensible why Fatar or even Nord has not tried this. It was about 2 days work !
I am happy, and hope to play the Nord Electro 5 HP for many more years, and hope you all do too !!
It also weighs less ;-) Greetz from Greece (but I am Dutch)
These users thanked the author Elphi for the post:
Normski
Normski
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Post by Normski »

Hi Elphi

Nice job, I stopped using HP keybeds for the same reason. Good to know there is a fix. :clap:
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

(Maybe I already wrote this, but just in case) Fatar has issued the new TP110, currently available only on Studiologic Numa X Piano but probably going to replace the TP100 all over; it would be nice if they would sell it also as an "upgrade kit" for TP100 owners. The TP110 has no longer that bouncing issue, not sure if what they did is similar to Elphi's work (impressive) or something different, but that's my experience, after testing a Numa X Piano 73 in a shop. It will be interesting also to see how TP110 will maintain its response after some time/use.
Last edited by maxpiano on 21 Aug 2022, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty Mike
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Post by Rusty Mike »

maxpiano wrote:(Maybe I already wrote this, but just in case) Fatar has issued the new TP110, currently available only on Studiologic Numa X Piano but probably going to replace the TP100 all over; it would be nice if they would sell it also as an "upgrade kit" for TP100 owners. The TP110 has no longer that bouncing issue, not sure if what they did is similar to Elphi's work (impressive) or something different, but that's my experience, after testing a Numa X Piano 73 in a shop. It will be interesting also to see how TP110 will maintain its response after some time/use.
I'm waiting for exactly this before my next purchase decision. I want to see if Nord does indeed adopt the TP110 as their new HP action.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
prgtrdr
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by prgtrdr »

maxpiano wrote:Fatar has issued the new TP110, currently available only on Studiologic Numa X Piano but probably going to replace the TP100 all over; it would be nice if they would sell it also as an "upgrade kit" for TP100 owners.
I've had the Numa X Piano 73 in front of me for the last 3 weeks and I think the TP110 keybed is very good, especially when compared to the TP100. I would love to buy an Electro or Stage HP if it had the TP110. What if older Nords could be upgraded?

Fatar is an OEM manufacturer, meaning they don't sell their keybeds to the public. (They do sell full keyboards like the Numa X Piano through their Studiologic subsidiary.) But let's assume that the mounting locations, screw holes and overall dimensions of the TP110 are the same as the TP100. What if a group of HP owners got together and did a large one-time purchase of TP110 keybeds directly from Fatar (or one of their distributors)? I don't know what their minimum order amount is but I'd bet that they would be happy to sell 50 units.

Thoughts?
These users thanked the author prgtrdr for the post:
NoDirection
NoDirection
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by NoDirection »

I agree 100% to your considerations - I really hoped Nord could come up with a Nord Electro 7 with improved TP110 action this NAMM starting tomorrow.
Its now 6 years since they released the Electro 6. Except of the Nord Electro 2 - they have had shorter cycles.

2001–2002 (Nord Electro)
2002–2009 (Nord Electro 2)
2009–2013 (Nord Electro 3)
2011–2013 (Nord Electro 3 HP)
2012–2015 (Nord Electro 4D and 4 HP)
2015-2018 (Nord Electro 5 and 5D)
2018-present (Nord Electro 6D and 6 HP)
These users thanked the author NoDirection for the post:
prgtrdr
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6