NE 4 HP - 8 keys not working

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
Rezle
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

NE 4 HP - 8 keys not working

Post by Rezle »

hi,

I have 8 keys next to each other that are not working correctly. Sometimes no respeonse, sometimes a little less loud, and sometimes only when i press 2 keys together.
I bought the NE4 recently and now after 4 weeks of using it, it is has this malfunctioning.

They keyboard was missing a lot of screws when i bought it. I bought some original screws to complete it. Maybe this as link to the problem.

any idea to solve this?

Regards,

Pieter
NE4 HP
The Netherlands
gitarrenzupfer
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Re: NE 4 HP - 8 keys not working

Post by gitarrenzupfer »

Since 8 keys next to each other have the same error, I would suspect a loose contact in the keyboard matrix (I don't know if that's what it's called). Groups of 8 sounds like multiplexers, which is standard in MIDI keyboards in combination with microcontrollers. Could be a loose ribbon cable connector or a hairline crack on the circuit board.

By the way, when I bought my Electro 5, I had the problem that some of the keys (I don't remember how many) in the middle of the keyboard didn't work. I sent it back and received a working replacement device promptly.

If you dare, I would open the device and at least visually inspect the plugs...
These users thanked the author gitarrenzupfer for the post:
Rezle
Collection: Nord Wave 2, Nord Lead A1, Nord Electro 5D 73 + Studiologic SL990
Rezle

Post by Rezle »

I have opened the NE4 and took a visual look. I can not see any problems or bad connection. I thought it was away but the malfunction is still there.
Not sure what to do. I will connect the keyboard via midi tonight and will check if that makes a difference.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

Rezle wrote:I have opened the NE4 and took a visual look. I can not see any problems or bad connection. I thought it was away but the malfunction is still there.
Not sure what to do. I will connect the keyboard via midi tonight and will check if that makes a difference.
Testing via MIDI is a valid one, but I expect all will work that way; in fact it is hard to detect visually if a connector is not well seating, if you feel confident enough to do it you should unplug and replug the keyboard connectors (on both sides, keybed and mainboard) to ensure they are well in place; otherwise you need to take it to authorized service and have them do check & repair (if/as needed).
Last edited by maxpiano on 25 Oct 2023, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Rezle

Post by Rezle »

I reassembled the NE4 again last night and the keyboard looks fine again.
My assumption is that the 2 flat-connectors from the keyboard to the motherboard were the problem. I have cleaned them and reconnected them.

Tx to all for your help!
These users thanked the author Rezle for the post:
pterm
Rezle

Post by Rezle »

Does anyone know the test programm of the Electro 4 HP? I think there is one for every Nord.