Changes in Vox Continental modelling

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Changes in Vox Continental modelling

Post by analogika »

Gambold wrote:Gotta say it - I'm not sure why anyone would even want to use the Vox, for anything. I know nostalgia dies hard, but there is a reason the Continental is not made anymore and no-one is using it at a professional level - on stage or in the studio (here come "examples" to prove me wrong).

Two nights ago my band gigged at a pool hall and I decided to use the Vox emulation on my Electro 6 for our cover of Somebody to Love, by Jefferson Airplane. Admittedly this kind of tune is not totally in our wheelhouse - it requires everyone to be pretty loose and 60s-ish and my fellow bandmates are not that. Since I actually lived in the 60s, unlike any of them, I can roughly approximate it. BUT - the Vox sounded terrible. Like a toy instrument, thin and icky. After about 16 measures I scurried back to the B3.
I totally understand the feeling, and the impulse, but: you're wrong.

Context is everything.
For one, what works depends mostly on the guitars' and/or horns' approach. Yes, the choice of organ is second fiddle to how the whole mix works. Not easy to accept, but production reality. You can force your own attitude (and I did for many years until I met a producer for whom I've been doing a lot of work in the past years), but a B3 is a particular type of cliché that immediately nails a song down to a particular style or genre — there's a bandwidth there, but a Hammond instantly colours everything it touches, and the song may not want that, or it may even be absolutely essential that a song NOT go that way.

Farfisa/VOX/philicorda are even more blatant than the Hammond, of course (which can be so wonderfully subtle), but it moves a song into a completely different space.

And since you expected examples: :wave:
For the Angels, we chose the philicorda for this track:

A Hammond could have been made to work, but it would have taken the song right out of the Garage-Soul everything-mono-f*ck-this-sh*t corner and moved it to Detroit, in a sense. Wrong attitude for the song.

Compare to this track — same singer, same band, same album, same producer, same keyboard player (me) but with a Hammond (of course):
Last edited by analogika on 17 Dec 2023, 19:09, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author analogika for the post:
Gambold
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
Gambold
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by Gambold »

Well the B3 sounds better! And a Philicorda is not a crappy Vox Continental :)
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
NeFerreira
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by NeFerreira »

Gambold wrote:I agree that something got lost with the Electro B3 between the Electro 4 and Electro 6, although I'm not a skilled enough organ player to say exactly what. But regardless...it blew away the Vox. I would say just dump the Vox and Farfisa for the next model and sink all the money into improving the B3. I know, heresy...but trust me, you won't miss them, especially if they are replaced with better Hammond options.
Sorry but I disagree. As a The Doors fan the Vox Continental is essencial for me. The reason that makes the Nord Vox doesn't soud right is a octave problem with the IV mixture and the drawbars tones that I mentioned early. Or you simply doen's like the sound. If you want to dump something dump the pipe :lol:
These users thanked the author NeFerreira for the post:
analogika
Hello, I am Né Ferreira!
My live gear: Nord Electro 6D & Keystation Mk3 as lower keyboard w/handmade custom hammond case
Pictures on my profile