Pianist vs Keyboardist

Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.
ThePianist
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Pianist vs Keyboardist

Post by ThePianist »

All,
Just curious to see how many are sensitive to definition relative to usecases to Pianist vs Keyboardist. In other words, are the people buying Nord Piano or Nord Grand only for single instrument either classical, jazz or what have you type of piano style playing or are there people who would use a Piano / Nord grand that play in a band rather than the Stage, in particular when now Stage 4 has tripple sensor as well, i.e. is there any other benefits to go with the Nord Piano lineup as a pianist vs the Stage 4 beyond value?

Here's a topic starter on the topic which I've put together:

Thoughts,
ThePianist
The Pianist
M1tsos
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Re: Pianist vs Keyboardist

Post by M1tsos »

Triple sensor and keybed became my priority thats why i sold stage 3 and bought nord grand… i am not proffesional pianist but i am proffesional musician.
Last edited by M1tsos on 26 Dec 2023, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Spider
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by Spider »

Are you only here to spam and get free advertising for your youtube channel, or will you actually contribute something useful to the community?
These users thanked the author Spider for the post (total 5):
FZiegler, tetra, ajstan, Nordlicht, dmamfmgm
docbop

Post by docbop »

I spend most my life playing guitar and bass before coming to piano. I was a guitarist didn't matter if I was playing electric guitar, acoustic steel string or nylon, 12 string, and on and on. Same with piano a really good musician like a studio musician don't matter they play whatever keys that are needed acoustic or electric.

For me the big this is player vs musicians. Whole lots players running around calling themselves musicians. It's starting to be same in recording and everyone suddenly is calling themselves producers. Basically they are taking terms that used to have meaning and making them mean nothing.
ThePianist

Post by ThePianist »

Spider wrote:Are you only here to spam and get free advertising for your youtube channel, or will you actually contribute something useful to the community?
Hi Spider,

Learning from experience, truth always comes to surface. We can have a look and assess that over time and providing you've also allocated some time to watch the videos as you are sharing your thoughts on what metrics you suggest we'd use for deciding one being deemed as contributing vs creating 'noise'.

Let's review that in 6 months, are you good with that?

Thank you for your openness while appreciate courtsey and objectiveness in communicating through posts/comments.
Last edited by ThePianist on 29 Dec 2023, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
The Pianist
ThePianist

Post by ThePianist »

docbop wrote:I spend most my life playing guitar and bass before coming to piano. I was a guitarist didn't matter if I was playing electric guitar, acoustic steel string or nylon, 12 string, and on and on. Same with piano a really good musician like a studio musician don't matter they play whatever keys that are needed acoustic or electric.

For me the big this is player vs musicians. Whole lots players running around calling themselves musicians. It's starting to be same in recording and everyone suddenly is calling themselves producers. Basically they are taking terms that used to have meaning and making them mean nothing.
Love the high expectations bar set here, docbop.
What would a musician be define as in your view?

Personally, I've always looked at a musician as someone that makes a living from music as first pre-requisite and entry before looking at what kind of musician and level you are at a point in time.
The Pianist
DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by DJKeys »

Please move this philosophical discussion to the General or Off Topic forums please-

-dj
These users thanked the author DJKeys for the post:
Nordlicht

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
docbop

Post by docbop »

ThePianist wrote:
docbop wrote:I spend most my life playing guitar and bass before coming to piano. I was a guitarist didn't matter if I was playing electric guitar, acoustic steel string or nylon, 12 string, and on and on. Same with piano a really good musician like a studio musician don't matter they play whatever keys that are needed acoustic or electric.

Love the high expectations bar set here, docbop.
What would a musician be define as in your view?

Personally, I've always looked at a musician as someone that makes a living from music as first pre-requisite and entry before looking at what kind of musician and level you are at a point in time.
Just making a living could just be playing enough to do basic gigs or teaching. To me musicians are striving to play at a higher level constantly learning and exploring. It can apply to lots of careers there are people that "make a living" doing X and then there are people at the high level of X. I view the two differently to me about dedication to doing X.