Nord Holiday Gift - to dream the impossible dream

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
Gambold
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Re: Nord Holiday Gift - to dream the impossible dream

Post by Gambold »

> I bought a Nord for what you are laughing about: pianos with character<

Oh I'm not laughing about them - I love them too - I'm just saying that it's always going to be the flagship grand that gets the A:11 setting on the factory load.

And that's been the White Grand for just a WEE BIT TOO LONG now.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
kirsty
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by kirsty »

I'd like to see a new release too of a XL Steinway D, arguably the most decorated concert grand.

I think this argument is a case of wants over needs. Of course we can find a suitable sample for every practical application of playing in bands, solo, recording etc but thats missing the point. Ziozeus hits the nail on the head when you hear so many variants of piano sounds if your ears are that inclined to spot differences between piano sounds and character.

Bear in mind to some folks they are simply clueless about these differences and a piano sound is just 'piano'. A friend of mine, her father has played in bands all her life and she has grown up around acoustic music. She asked me once why I raved so much on my Nord and why its so expensive to which I proceeded to demonstrate the selection of different grands, baby grands and uprights and she honestly couldn't tell the difference between them. All I got was 'oh that one sounds a bit louder' :lol:
These users thanked the author kirsty for the post (total 2):
Gambold, afroskully

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
Gambold

Post by Gambold »

>Bear in mind to some folks they are simply clueless about these differences and a piano sound is just 'piano'. A friend of mine, her father has played in bands all her life and she has grown up around acoustic music...I proceeded to demonstrate the selection of different grands, baby grands and uprights and she honestly couldn't tell the difference between them. All I got was 'oh that one sounds a bit louder<

TOTALLY! That is not only true for audiences, but I confess in many cases for me too, especially with the uprights. I know people here talk about character differences between the Queen and the Black and the Rain but to me---"oh that one is a bit clearer, and that one sounds murky."

The Grands are a little easier to distinguish, mostly because of their flaws. My first favorite was the Imperial but I could tell the top end was too thin. It was frustrating - I loved its bass and still think its the best in that regard. The Silver was too icy. The Bright isn't too icy and is my go-to for live play with an electric band. The Velvet is a bit murky but I kind of like it. I refuse to use the EQ on acoustic samples.

The White was an improvement over the group - I'm not sure I could tell you why, I suspect the sampling tech was better and "fuller." I would like to see another option with this tech that was distinctly different, a big box piano - like a new Imperial, the Steinway D, something like that!
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
kirsty
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by kirsty »

:D Your Christmas dram came true Gambold. Merry Christmas
These users thanked the author kirsty for the post:
Gambold

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
Gambold

Post by Gambold »

Yes it did...although I wanted one of these:
1.jpg
1.jpg (40.87 KiB) Viewed 738 times

and got this instead:
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (450.28 KiB) Viewed 738 times
These users thanked the author Gambold for the post:
kirsty
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
SteveNordP3
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Post by SteveNordP3 »

Gambold wrote:>Bear in mind to some folks they are simply clueless about these differences and a piano sound is just 'piano'. A friend of mine, her father has played in bands all her life and she has grown up around acoustic music...I proceeded to demonstrate the selection of different grands, baby grands and uprights and she honestly couldn't tell the difference between them. All I got was 'oh that one sounds a bit louder<

TOTALLY! That is not only true for audiences, but I confess in many cases for me too, especially with the uprights. I know people here talk about character differences between the Queen and the Black and the Rain but to me---"oh that one is a bit clearer, and that one sounds murky."

The Grands are a little easier to distinguish, mostly because of their flaws. My first favorite was the Imperial but I could tell the top end was too thin. It was frustrating - I loved its bass and still think its the best in that regard. The Silver was too icy. The Bright isn't too icy and is my go-to for live play with an electric band. The Velvet is a bit murky but I kind of like it. I refuse to use the EQ on acoustic samples.

The White was an improvement over the group - I'm not sure I could tell you why, I suspect the sampling tech was better and "fuller." I would like to see another option with this tech that was distinctly different, a big box piano - like a new Imperial, the Steinway D, something like that!
Hi Gambold - “Soft” isn’t even going to be downloaded for a try by me…

But I will say I was finally able to get around to upgrading my OS and trying the newest White XL and newest Studio 2 (Yamaha C7) and consider both to be very worthy improvements. I desperately want a new Lady D (XL) and would love a dozen more - but the library is exceedingly useful as is and to my ears, still the best stuff in its class.

After a flood incident that required a music room re-do over the past 3 months, I’ve FINALLY gotten back to playing the Grand and with these improved sounds, just the joy of being able to play again has been the real Christmas gift for me. Like you - I’m always wishing for more - and like Sheryl Crow, I’m trying to remember that it’s not getting what I want, but wanting what I got…

Happy new year!