Mixer

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
David53
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Mixer

Post by David53 »

Does any one use or have had experience using a small mixer for your Electro 6. When I bought my Electro & Yamaha speakers, the salesman suggested that a mixer would give me more control over volume and tone. The sales guy is a professional sound guy and I assume he knows what he’s talking about. Of course he might just be trying to get me to part with more $! For the most part I’ve been happy with my sound. Just curious if anyone uses a mixer in their set up?
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Mixer

Post by FZiegler »

You'll mostly use a mixer if you have a multi keyboard setup. But of course, you can use a mixer for EQing the sound to match the venue. Then you can leave the onboard EQ for shaping sounds individually.

I don't use a mixer for that purpose as I leave that to the PA. Just get a monitor mix for my IEM through a small digital mixer (Behringer Flow 8).
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Tasten-Bert
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Tasten-Bert »

Hi David,

electro 5 user here. I agree with what FZiegler said - mixer only if there is something to mix.

When playing my electro solely I‘m happy with its sound and the onboard EQ. Only at live gigs where I have the complete rig with a korg as second keyboard I use my mixer, but even then only to be able to give the FOH guy one stereo signal only, no EQing outside the keyboards.

I like it easy and simple. Cheers from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |
[hr]
... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

As stated, you really don't need a mixer until you're using more than one keyboard. You might consider getting a nice DI box if you're playing gigs and need to send keys to FOH and your own monitors.

When the time comes, I recommend Radial keyboard mixers - I have the Key Largo in my rehearsal rack and the KL-8 in my gig rack.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
David53
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by David53 »

Thanks to all for the responses. You confirmed what I thought also.
harmonizer
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Post by harmonizer »

The line out signal level on Nord Electos (and possible Nord Stage?) is lower than with some other keyboards. Some keyboard amps (and powered speakers) have no problem with this, in terms of reaching their full volume potential. Some others have shared that going directly from an Electro to an Electrovoice zx-a1 (which I have) does not allow the zx-a1 to reach its full volume potential because of the combination of the low signal level of the line out from the Electro, with the particular details of how the zx-a1 processes its input signal. So you would need some sort of mixer in between the two (if you care about enabling the zx-a1 to reach its full volume potential, which may or may not matter to you).

For me this is not a problem, because I only use my zx-a1 as a stage monitor so me and my bandmates can hear my keys playing on stage. Also I route my Stage 3 output (previously my Electro 3 output) into the 1/8 inch line in on the back of my Roland FA-07, and then send one combined output from that to my zx-a1.
Last edited by harmonizer on 05 Dec 2023, 17:28, edited 2 times in total.