NS4 Layer's reverb cutting off when wheel is turned off

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
reinski
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4
United States of America

NS4 Layer's reverb cutting off when wheel is turned off

Post by reinski »

Hello,
It's a little hard to explain this little thing that happens with my NS4, as opposed to the NS3 or NS2. Basically, I have a string patch assigned to the wheel with a good bit of hall reverb JUST on that patch, and when I rapidly turn the wheel to ZERO, it also totally kills the string patch's reverb. On my previous Nords, the reverb would NOT be cut off and would ring out nicely. It's cool for the end of a song. I wonder if anyone knows a setting that might enable the reverb from a wheel/controlled layer to NOT get cut off when the wheel is turned back to ZERO??
Thanks in advance!
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX
Austria

Re: NS4 Layer's reverb cutting off when wheel is turned off

Post by MartinJ2EX »

This is already well-documented in many posts… it’s frustrating for me, too. Back with Stage 2EX, I would do volume morphs on many songs, but not so much with Stage 4 because of this.

As this is the same in Wave 2, it seems like an architectural choice.

Still, I hope they bring a 2.0 update or something that will rework the behavior to keep the Reverb Bus at the same volume level.
Also, jump/catch fader Setting would be on my list…
nord stage 4 88 | nord stage 2 EX 88
DX7 IIFD | JX-08 | System-8 | opsix
Numa Organ 2 | d3m custom

Live Musician since 2010
My Website
| Hertha Band
Valpurgis
Norway

Post by Valpurgis »

So you want each layer independantly to have an option of cutting/not cutting the reverb tail when reducing the volume rapidly to zero?
Last edited by Valpurgis on 25 Nov 2023, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX
Austria

Post by MartinJ2EX »

I would see it would make sense that reverb is (or shoudl be) independent of Layer Volume.
Like it was with all previous Stage generations or Electro.

Also in DAWs where you have a BUS, typically the reberb bus is independent of the instrument volume.

Stage 4 is like having the reverb as a plugin directly on the instrument strip, not as a separate bus - which is unfortunate if you want to morph volume..
nord stage 4 88 | nord stage 2 EX 88
DX7 IIFD | JX-08 | System-8 | opsix
Numa Organ 2 | d3m custom

Live Musician since 2010
My Website
| Hertha Band
EllHerrington

Post by EllHerrington »

Same things happens with the delay. Not having this effect when morphing volume is a DEAL BREAKER for me. I have 3 weeks left to find out if they will fix this, otherwise I will go back to my NS3.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

Guys, just use an external effect pedal. It's more flexible and then you don't lose any of your morphing options.
Depending on the sounds you want, if you have an extra layer, you can set that one to 100% wet, with the same sound duplicated as the one you wish to fade up and down. So one layer 100% dry, another 100% wet. Then use the wheel to fade the dry one up and down. That is how people were doing this on the Wave 2. Me personally, I prefer external effects.