Nord Stage HA88: keybed differences between 2 and 3

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
jp_85

Nord Stage HA88: keybed differences between 2 and 3

Post by jp_85 »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Nord Stage keyboard with 88 keys. I had the chance to try a Nord Stage 3 HA88 in person and really loved the keyboard action. When I compare the features of the Stage 3 and the Stage 2, I would probably get by with the second generation.

I was wondering if the keybed of a Nord Stage 2 HA88 is similar to the one I tried on the 3. Unfortunately there is no Stage 2 I can try nearby.

I compared the specifications provided by Nord:
Stage 2 HA88: Hammer Action Weighted keyboards
Stage 3 HA88: Velocity sensitive Hammer Action keyboard with Aftertouch

Would you say there is a big difference in the keybed between these models empirically? Is the action comparable?

Many thanks!
JP
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Nord Stage HA88: keybed differences between 2 and 3

Post by maxpiano »

Hi and welcome to NUF :-)

Afaik action on NS2 and NS3 is the same (Fatar TP40 and with same weighting, L or M), on NS4 instead the triple-contact model has been introduced; of course on a used one the feeling may be different depending on how and how much it has been played by previous user(s), as all hammer action keyboards tend to loosen if played heavily and/or for a long time, so the recommendation is to always test a used HA keyboard personally before buying (if possible)
Last edited by maxpiano on 13 Nov 2023, 16:09, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
jp_85
jp_85

Post by jp_85 »

Thanks! If possible I will try before I buy. It would be nice to do a side by side comparison but you can't have it all I guess :D

Another related question: now and then I come across a used NS2 that has had a keyboard replacement. Would you consider this a no go, or can this give new life to an older model?
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

If the keyboard replacement has been done and certified by an authorized Nord technician, then I would consider it a "plus", otherwise... not good, because every keybed needs to have its own calibration data that only Nord technicians can load into the target NS board, ao just plugging in a new keybed (although of the same type) does not constitute a proper or complete replacement.
Last edited by maxpiano on 13 Nov 2023, 19:15, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
jp_85