Nord Wave 2: patches randomly changing on gigs

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
nijaro1225

Post by nijaro1225 »

Moving fast- probably threads about this already, so apologies for redundant post. Feel free to share link if anybody has one.

Have had my W2 for about 10 months, full-time pro and use it on average 4 times per week. Lately, during gigs, I’ve been having issues with the sounds on my “Live” bank randomly/spontaneously changing. Volume, attack, effects. I’m running a control pedal and send some morph info to that, as well as the wheel.

On the gig last night, 3 of the patches in “Live” became unplayable - in the middle of the set - the output level went so low, each was inaudible, and the JP3 synth brass patch randomly turned into some type of slow attack pad (actually in the sound bank, not just “Live).

This does not happen when I’m practicing at home through my home sound system - but when I get it on gigs and go through the house it’s been happening quite frequently.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/theories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by nijaro1225 on 30 Oct 2023, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
baekgaard
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Nord Wave 2: patches randomly changing on gigs

Post by baekgaard »

Do you have any midi connections to the NW2?

If not, could dust have been building up in some of your dials so that they appear like they have been touched and the settings change to their current position at some random point? This could perhaps be exaggerated if you're on a vibrating or unstable stage floor?

Or perhaps a loose connector inside the board between the top and bottom, impacted maybe by vibrations too?

Sent from my phone in brevity
nijaro1225

Post by nijaro1225 »

Thanks for the reply!

No MIDI connections currently - have connected a Yamaha MODX6+ through MIDI for a past concert, but had none of these issues for the 10 days of rehearsal and show while connected.

I’m going to try another factory reset and see if the problem pops up again.

gitarrenzupfer
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by gitarrenzupfer »

just so I understood correctly:
nijaro1225 wrote: sounds on my “Live” bank randomly/spontaneously changing. Volume, attack, effects.
The sound changes are changes that could have been made with a mod wheel or control pedal, but they happened without any action?

When practicing at home, where everything works, do you use exactly the same setup of pedals etc. (same control pedal conected as in live situation) ?
Collection: Nord Wave 2, Nord Lead A1, Nord Electro 5D 73 + Studiologic SL990
nijaro1225

Post by nijaro1225 »

Correct: I send OSC CTRL, FREQ, or RES/FREQ HP (depending on patch) to a control pedal - the same one I use in practice. Mainly just to intensify lead sounds during solos, or pads while comping behind other soloists while using the NW2. (With my Stage 4 I mainly use a control pedal to morph effects on EP/PADS).

If I ride the volume knob in performance while in “Live”, whatever the volume is at when I’m done will “save” in “Live”, but I should be able to turn it right back up - what happens is either the volume output for a particular patch drops down super low randomly or the patch will actually change.

DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by DJKeys »

nijaro1225 wrote:Correct: I send OSC CTRL, FREQ, or RES/FREQ HP (depending on patch) to a control pedal - the same one I use in practice. Mainly just to intensify lead sounds during solos, or pads while comping behind other soloists while using the NW2. (With my Stage 4 I mainly use a control pedal to morph effects on EP/PADS).

If I ride the volume knob in performance while in “Live”, whatever the volume is at when I’m done will “save” in “Live”, but I should be able to turn it right back up - what happens is either the volume output for a particular patch drops down super low randomly or the patch will actually change.

To which "volume knob" do you refer? Only Program Volume would be saved, master volume is not part of a program. I have had my NW2 since 2020 and have never experienced an issue like you describe-

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 01 Nov 2023, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
nijaro1225

Post by nijaro1225 »

Strange - some my program volumes are definitely changing throughout live performances. When they do, I adjust the main volume knob - sometimes the programs get louder, sometimes they don’t. After my last gig, 3 of the 5 “Live” programs are unplayable due to low volume or washed FREQ.

I thought “Memory Protect” would keep my “Live” programs safe, but apparently not. Hoping it’s user error (my fault) and not an issue with my NW2.
I’ve already had to send it in after only owning it for 3 months to have the pitch stick replaced under warranty.

Traveling for work now, but when I get back home I’m going to factory reset, rebuild programs and see what happens.

Last edited by nijaro1225 on 01 Nov 2023, 21:20, edited 2 times in total.
baekgaard
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by baekgaard »

Memory protect doesn't impact the live buffers. What I do is to store my default settings in a normal program and then you can load and restore (save to) live settings (I think this works on the NW2 also, didn't check explicitly).

If your NW2 is currently unplayable in some of the live buffers, try to load a buffer first, and then check each setting individually to see which parameter has changed - just hold down the Monitor button and touch each dial to see its current value. Perhaps one of the filter buttons is a bit noisy and needs to be exercised?

DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by DJKeys »

If this does not happen at home but only happens on gigs, it is very unlikely to be a problem with the keyboard itself. I would examine the signal path from the keyboard to your ears and try to determine what is different between the home and gig setups-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
nijaro1225

Post by nijaro1225 »

baekgaard wrote:Memory protect doesn't impact the live buffers. What I do is to store my default settings in a normal program and then you can load and restore (save to) live settings (I think this works on the NW2 also, didn't check explicitly).

If your NW2 is currently unplayable in some of the live buffers, try to load a buffer first, and then check each setting individually to see which parameter has changed - just hold down the Monitor button and touch each dial to see its current value. Perhaps one of the filter buttons is a bit noisy and needs to be exercised?

Thanks for these suggestions - I’m home next week and will dig into it and see what I can figure out.

DJKeys wrote:If this does not happen at home but only happens on gigs, it is very unlikely to be a problem with the keyboard itself. I would examine the signal path from the keyboard to your ears and try to determine what is different between the home and gig setups-

-dj
Agreed - very confusing issue that I’ve never dealt with before. Absolutely love the action of the NW2 so I’m hoping I can get this issue sorted out sooner than later.

Appreciate the feedback from you both!