Clean Tone Studio - Some Progress

Present yourself, your keyboard rig and your music, including links to your myspace, band websites, competitions etc.
NordBanger
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Clean Tone Studio - Some Progress

Post by NordBanger »

I made a couple more additions to my little studio in the basement. The output on my Nord Stage 3 is stereo; it sounds great through my headphones and studio monitors. But I normally run it through my mixer and that had a single QSC CP12 taking both channels. While it sounded just fine, I added a matching speaker and the difference is noticeable. The mixer is a Yamaha MG10XU 10-channel with a nice bank of FX. I run a Boss RC 10R for drums; it sounds good through the QSCs. I'm too lazy to set up a drum track in Logic Pro or EZ Drummer, both of which are on my workstation. It's easy to click around the Boss and find a groove I want to play with. I don't keep any of my pedals on the floor as I don't want to bend over to adjust them.
Nord Keyboard.jpg
Nord Keyboard.jpg (206.92 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
My kids got me a snazzy new microphone, a Shure Super 55, last Christmas. It looks really cool but is basically an SM58 in a fancy housing. You can see it just to the left of the music stand.
Clean Tone Studio 1.jpg
Clean Tone Studio 1.jpg (245.5 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Just about everything else is unchanged. The workstation is an iMac 24. The computer has enough processing power to handle my songs. I'm still a noob with recording, mixing, mastering, etc. I used Garage Band long enough to feel comfortable going with Logic Pro. I have EZ Drummer on the workstation and still am climbing the Logic Pro learning curve. The Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface meets my needs. I have never tried recording more than two instruments at a time and don’t anticipate that changing any time soon.

The microphones are the venerable Shure SM58 and SM57. The 57 is for recording my guitars through the Marshall DSL40CR. I've not been able to duplicate the growl of my Marshall running the guitar clean into the DAW and then adding effects later. I can get highly satisfactory results with reverb, chorus, and all the other 'clean' effects. But the dirty growl is best captured through the microphone. My other microphone is a Shure Super 55. That thing makes me look like a star but it is basically an SM58 in a fancy chrome housing.

The table is a Husky workbench that is height adjustable. I leave it at the highest (standing) position. The drawers hold extra cables, batteries, picks, tools, and other doo dads. The white board enables me to capture my ideas. I'm sure you'll appreciate my musical genius if you look at what's written there.
Work Station.jpg
Work Station.jpg (216.24 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
The guitars and amps and pedals are the same. This is a small but mighty part of my studio. This stuff is at least a hundred times better than my musicianship, so even when I play like hell I look really cool doing it!
Amps and Pedals.jpg
Amps and Pedals.jpg (243.14 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Guitars 1.jpg
Guitars 1.jpg (220.01 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Guitars 2.jpg
Guitars 2.jpg (227.56 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
At some point I may take over the entire basement. For now, this is just fine. Thanks for touring my little slice of heaven.
Clean Tone Studio 2.jpg
Clean Tone Studio 2.jpg (224.11 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
These users thanked the author NordBanger for the post (total 3):
Schorsch, Tracii, dmamfmgm
NordBanger

Nord Stage 3 88
QSC CP-12 x 2
iMac 24
Logic Pro and EZ Drummer
ADAM Audio T5V Powered Studio Monitors
Sony MDR-7506 Closed-Back Headphones
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Open-back Headphones
Yamaha MG10XU Mixer
Guitars and Amps
Quai34
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Re: Clean Tone Studio - Some Progress

Post by Quai34 »

Nice one, I like it a lot. Where did you get the poster with all the guitar chords? I might need on in the future...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
NordBanger
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Clean Tone Studio - Some Progress

Post by NordBanger »

Quai34 wrote:Nice one, I like it a lot. Where did you get the poster with all the guitar chords? I might need on in the future...
That was an Amazon purchase. Cheap poster frame and you’re set.
NordBanger

Nord Stage 3 88
QSC CP-12 x 2
iMac 24
Logic Pro and EZ Drummer
ADAM Audio T5V Powered Studio Monitors
Sony MDR-7506 Closed-Back Headphones
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Open-back Headphones
Yamaha MG10XU Mixer
Guitars and Amps