using Nord Drum 3P as a 6 voice synth

Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.
Naughty Nord 4P
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

using Nord Drum 3P as a 6 voice synth

Post by Naughty Nord 4P »

As the title says. I want to plug my nord Drum into my midi keyboard and use it as a synth as well. I have been successful but its only on 1 channel. I can choose channel 1-6. Can I play it as a 6 voice synth or is it only Mono???

Should be possible to get this thing to be able to play some chords as midi no? Knowing my luck it most likely wont be as simple as plugging my midi in and playing. Everything needs to be so difficult.

Any ideas how I can use this as a synth with midi keyboard and play chords?
DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: using Nord Drum 3P as a 6 voice synth

Post by DJKeys »

Naughty Nord 4P wrote:As the title says. I want to plug my nord Drum into my midi keyboard and use it as a synth as well. I have been successful but its only on 1 channel. I can choose channel 1-6. Can I play it as a 6 voice synth or is it only Mono???

Should be possible to get this thing to be able to play some chords as midi no? Knowing my luck it most likely wont be as simple as plugging my midi in and playing. Everything needs to be so difficult.

Since the Nord Drum is 6 Monotimbral channels, it is unlikely that the pads can be triggered as chords unless your controller can send from 6 zones. From page 14 of the manual:

MIDI CONTROLLER
A MIDI Fader box or Controller can be used to have full control of all
parameters on all Nord Drum 3P channels. Such a setup would use the
individual MIDI Channels. Make sure that each Nord Drum 3P Channel is
set to an exclusive MIDI Channel.

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 18 Sep 2023, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author DJKeys for the post:
Naughty Nord 4P

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
Naughty Nord 4P
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Post by Naughty Nord 4P »

DJKeys wrote:
Naughty Nord 4P wrote:As the title says. I want to plug my nord Drum into my midi keyboard and use it as a synth as well. I have been successful but its only on 1 channel. I can choose channel 1-6. Can I play it as a 6 voice synth or is it only Mono???

Since the Nord Drum is 6 Monotimbral channels, it is unlikely that the pads can be triggered as chords unless your controller can send from 6 zones. From page 14 of the manual:

MIDI CONTROLLER
A MIDI Fader box or Controller can be used to have full control of all
parameters on all Nord Drum 3P channels. Such a setup would use the
individual MIDI Channels. Make sure that each Nord Drum 3P Channel is
set to an exclusive MIDI Channel.

-dj
Thats what I thought! Thanks!
guttula
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Post by guttula »

I've used an RK-002 to do a simple voice assignment for the ND2. It works with the 3P as well. Basically i have my kick, snare and hihat as normal, and then the last three voices are copies of each other and then the midi keyboard input cycles the channels 4, 5, and 6. This way i have a three voice polyphonic synth on those channels.

Any way to do a midi channel multiplexer will work and you can build synths from 1-6 voices of polyphony. Of course, with six voices you no longer have any other drum sounds available.
These users thanked the author guttula for the post:
wartaler
wartaler
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Post by wartaler »

Exactly right, I did something similar with the Blokas midihub, made the nd2 into a very compact 6 voice polyphonic synth for melodies or chords. You can even let the note length depend on how long you press a key by increasing the decay time to the highest value (longest) at note on, and decrease again to the minimum at note off.
Last edited by wartaler on 12 Oct 2023, 03:41, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
Stoat

Post by Stoat »

wartaler wrote:Exactly right, I did something similar with the Blokas midihub, made the nd2 into a very compact 6 voice polyphonic synth for melodies or chords. You can even let the note length depend on how long you press a key by increasing the decay time to the highest value (longest) at note on, and decrease again to the minimum at note off.

Amazing! I've been using a midi round robin script in Reaper. But I've always longed for note length control. Can you please describe how you set that up (I thought the ND2 didnt have note on/off?). Many thanks mate.
wartaler

Post by wartaler »

Hi Stoat,

Step 1
The first step is indeed the easiest; to dispatch simultaneous notes (chords) from a keyboard or MIDI track into the 6 MIDI channels of the ND2 (or 3p). These notes will have note on, and (some form of) note off messages.

Step 2
Now the notes are all in separate MIDI channels, transform all note-on messages into CC50 value 127 (longest tone decay), CC21 value 127 (longest noise decay). Transform note-off messages into CC50 value 0 and CC21 value 0. Merge these newly generated CC messages back with the notes from step 1 / make sure that you still include the note on messages when sending it all to the ND2/3p.

I also tried channel level, which would perhaps be a more logical target CC for this, but this caused some clicking artifacts. You can of course experiment with max and min decay values, it doesn't have to be 127 and 0.

In the midihub there is a transformer 'pipe', I bet there are MIDI plugins that can do this conversion if your DAW can't do this natively..

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 18 Oct 2023, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author wartaler for the post (total 2):
FZiegler, Stoat
Stoat

Post by Stoat »

Wonderful - thank you :D

Edit: just to add for others, I'm using this for the round robin (https://stash.reaper.fm/v/415/MIDI%20Ch ... Router.txt), and I'm going to try this (http://www.bewaryprods.com/software/pro ... index.html) for the midi note to CC transform. TBH the Blokas midihub looks the best way, on the Santa list :D
Last edited by Stoat on 19 Oct 2023, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Stoat for the post:
wartaler
wartaler

Post by wartaler »

Here is how I set it up in Cubase: nord-drum-forum-f27/synth-sounds-with-n ... tml#p45072 I used some of these plugins: http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi (midiPolyphony and midiConverter3). I like the Blokas Midihub for its ease of use, the BomeBox by Bome should also be able to do this I guess with the 'MIDI translator Pro' software
Last edited by wartaler on 20 Oct 2023, 10:51, edited 2 times in total.
wartaler

Post by wartaler »

I forgot how easy it is with the Midihub; in the dispatcher 'pipe' (block) you just tick the desired output MIDI channels. I also needed 2 transformation pipes: one to set a long tone decay at note on, one to set a short note decay at note off. I didn't include control over noise decay, but that would only require 2 additional pipes. The transformation pipes can process all MIDI channels at the same time, and you can decide if you want to replace the original note-on/off messages with the newly generated CC, or simply add the new CC messages, keeping the original note-on messages.
1D66BE2E-2A65-4F80-AF04-4CDF33894488.png
1D66BE2E-2A65-4F80-AF04-4CDF33894488.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
Last edited by wartaler on 25 Oct 2023, 07:53, edited 9 times in total.