Nord Piano 4 + Nord Monitor suitable for Singer/Songwriter

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
Skunz
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Nord Piano 4 + Nord Monitor suitable for Singer/Songwriter

Post by Skunz »

Hello out there,
first of all, excuse my English, I‘m a German native speaker and don‘t like using those translation engines:-)

I‘m currently using a Nord Piano 4 in connection with AKG Headphones and a Shure microphone. All that gear is plugged into a Yamaha MG10XU mixing console.

For playing and singing without headphones, I consider buying the Nord Monitor V2. I will only use it in a small room for myself.

So now to my question:
does the existing gear listed above allow me to play and sing without using my headphones or are the Nord Monitors Not suitable for that?

I hope you understand what I‘m trying to say… :-)

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Last edited by Skunz on 17 Oct 2023, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Nord Piano 4 + Nord Monitor suitable for Singer/Songwrit

Post by maxpiano »

Hello Skunz and welcome to NUF.

You can use the Nord Monitors for that, they are just normal near-field monitors in the end, but to hear your singing (microphone) you will need either to connect them to the MG10XU outputs or, if you prefer to connect the Nord Monitors to NP4 outputs, you can send the MG10XU out to the Monitor IN of NP4.

As in any setup with near field monitors, you need also to take care of microphone positioning to avoid feedback or capturing unwanted sounds, including the piano itself. In general, when recording from a microphone, headphones are a better choice (no problem with playback or live singing instead, apart the potential capturing)
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 Oct 2023, 15:22, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
Skunz
Skunz

Post by Skunz »

Thank you maxpiano, that‘s what I wanted to hear :-)
agcohn

Post by agcohn »

I would highly suggest only using the Nord Monitors to output the piano audio while playing / singing or for playback of your recordings, and not trying to output the mic through the monitors while recording, as that will almost certainly result in feedback with the mic due to how close the monitors attach to the piano.

If you need to hear your mic output while recording, I think you would need to use an IEM or a stage monitor that is much further away.