In Ear Monitors?

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
StuartR
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Re: In Ear Monitors?

Post by StuartR »

Saeven wrote:Hey everyone! I was considering getting some Shure SE846 for use on stage. I've never used in-ears, do these have some kind of "passthrough" so you can still hear the band?

I'm tired of lugging an amp around, and most venues have DI boxes ready to go; was thinking I could get some headphones and call it day. What's your experience with gear like this?

Thanks for your advice!
There are at least two brands of IEMs that allow some type of pass-through. One is passive and the other is active, using a little box on your belt. I'm using the passive ones and they do allow a bit of ambient sound to enter along with your mix. Work pretty good.

Without a dedicated sound engineer, I recommend you don't use a custom mix, instead use the front of house mix. That way everyone hears the mix the audience hears and can adjust their own levels to fit correctly in that mix.
Latebloomer
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Re: In Ear Monitors?

Post by Latebloomer »

StuartR wrote:
Saeven wrote:Hey everyone! I was considering getting some Shure SE846 for use on stage. I've never used in-ears, do these have some kind of "passthrough" so you can still hear the band?

I'm tired of lugging an amp around, and most venues have DI boxes ready to go; was thinking I could get some headphones and call it day. What's your experience with gear like this?

Thanks for your advice!
There are at least two brands of IEMs that allow some type of pass-through. One is passive and the other is active, using a little box on your belt. I'm using the passive ones and they do allow a bit of ambient sound to enter along with your mix. Work pretty good.

Without a dedicated sound engineer, I recommend you don't use a custom mix, instead use the front of house mix. That way everyone hears the mix the audience hears and can adjust their own levels to fit correctly in that mix.
This is true and it can work pretty good with ambience ports or filters on the plugs that let som sound through. I like IE without these ports better, but that's often a matter of taste and preferences.
The important thing here is that these plugs have a nice tight fit in your ears with a good seal, and some way to control how much sound they let through. That is a very different thing than using IEM where you can hear ambient sound because of bad fit and bad seal.