NL A1 Questions external midi and Performance mode.

Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions
Hammerheart
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

NL A1 Questions external midi and Performance mode.

Post by Hammerheart »

Thinking of getting an A1. I’ve got various other hardware polysynths but I’m looking for one that I can use a bit more portable as a multi timbal Synthwave song writing sketch pad.

I really like the idea of being able to save performances as a library of 4 programs that work really well as a set of bass/pad/lead 1/lead 2.

Ideally I’d like to be able to set up a keyboard split for songwriting ideas but then have the 4 slots respond to external midi like a true multi timbal synth.

From reading the manual I gather all slots respond to external midi regardless of being active in both performance and program mode.

Question: Does adding keyboard splits affect the slots incoming external (non global channel) midi? I don’t want to have to remove the splits every time I want to switch between performing/writing and having it being controlled via midi.

Do the keyboard splits only affect the global midi channel and the keyboard?

Other than this little bit of confusion it’s looking perfect for my needs but I really need to be able to have it operate as both a split keyboard live synth and a synth that can save groups of patches that respond across the whole keyboard at the same.
Last edited by Hammerheart on 20 Sep 2023, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
23skidoo
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Re: NL A1 Questions external midi and Performance mode.

Post by 23skidoo »

The splits / stacks do not affect the individual channel MIDI assignments per slot at all.

IIRC (I don't have my A1 anymore, but I did some of this with it, and I don't remember that being an issue), basically the global channel is just another way to "play" what the keyboard would play if you hit that key on it. So if you have a split active, and you send a note below the split to the global channel, whatever's under the split point and active will play - be that one or both slots, and vice versa for above it. The slots can still be independently played and controlled on their own MIDI channel too. There may be a slight nuance or edge case here, but I'm pretty sure I remember it being what you'd expect it to do.
Hammerheart
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

Re: NL A1 Questions external midi and Performance mode.

Post by Hammerheart »

Thanks. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on one.