Electro 5D, Sample Synth acting weird

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
mike cap
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Electro 5D, Sample Synth acting weird

Post by mike cap »

Hey y'all,

I'm not sure if this type of problem applies to all Nord keyboards so I wanted to post in the general forum...

I'm setting up sounds for a wedding band gig. We're playing Uptown Funk, and I actually found a sample/patch from a user on this forum for that song. Main thing I needed was the vocal "Do's" samples. So I put it in the sound manager, get it into the keyboard and it's working fine. I wanted to add some other samples zones to that program so I could have sounds for the whole song on one program. So I go into logic to record audio of the Do's that I need and all of a sudden the sample synth stops making sound. I was using LIVE 3, and now NONE of the samples synth sounds are working, not even the stock Nord strings/orchestral, etc. So I open SETLIST mode where a lot of my saved programs are that use samples, they work there. I open PROGRAM mode, all my sample synth stuff works there too. I opened LIVE 1, no sound from sample synth. I opened LIVE 2, all the samples play but they sustain endlessly (like when your DAW freaks and the midi notes hold forever). Now in LIVE 3 the sample synth is "blipping" when I hit a key.

What could this be? I know live mode is a little wonky with running sampler stuff as I have seen on some posts here, but I would always try out my samples on live mode and then create programs out of them right away, and I've never had a problem. The samples integrated in programs are working but the fact that the sampler synth is not working properly AT ALL in any of the LIVE modes is kinda scaring me. Any help is appreciated!

- Mike
mike cap
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Re: Electro 5D, Sample Synth acting weird

Post by mike cap »

OK, found a "work-around." I opened an instance of sample synth in a PROGRAM (which was working properly) and stored it onto LIVE 1,2, and 3. Now they work as usual. No clue what that was!!
tsss27
Patch Creator

Re: Electro 5D, Sample Synth acting weird

Post by tsss27 »

You fixed it, however for reference what you are describing is due to the decay/release control. The endless sustain is due to the knob being turned all the way to the right. The blip is due to it being turned all the way to the left. Neither extreme is very useful, but the rest of the knob's travel will help you shape the decay of the sounds, either having them fade over time as you hold a key (to the left of center) or fade when you release the key (to the right of center.) Hope that helps at least!