NE6 & Octave +/- with plugin on Ableton

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
RemedyMusic
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

NE6 & Octave +/- with plugin on Ableton

Post by RemedyMusic »

Hi all!

Spending 3 days now with my brand new NE6d and having a blast! I have brought myself to be familiar with Sound manager, the controls, the logic and concept of Nord ecosystem, organized my Programs, loaded up some nice pianos from Nord site. I can't wait to bring this rig on stage with me. Sadly, the weather is not letting me bring the NE6d to my gigs. Too much rain going on right here in the Philippines.

Now one of my workflow is making some backing tracks, aside from the usual gig. I use Ableton Intro, and I use a plugin the UVIWorkstation with a model d piano. I just record piano parts. Again, approach is not audio but instead midi.

On my Korg Kross gen 1, when I have my plugin launched, there is one button on the keyboard panel, when pressed, brings my piano one octave up/down. Given that the Korg Kross is also 61 key, I need this command to move my piano range to reach those low notes or sometimes high notes as well. I tried using the NE6d with the same setup, but I didn't prevail in finding the button on the NE6d that will shift my piano range up or down a whole octave. I can't seem to find any button on the NE6d panel to make my piano minus or plus an octave.

Am I missing some kind of setting? with my Korg Kross, the function I'm looking for work flawlessly. With the NE6d, I can't seem to find it. I'm at a lose. I hope somebody chimes in and if you encounter the same scenario, you lovely assistance is greatly appreciated.

TIA
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: NE6 & Octave +/- with plugin on Ableton

Post by maxpiano »

You cannot transpose by octave the NE6 keyboard, only +/- 6 semitones (using the Transpose button), the aoctave butto on eqch section work on the section itself only.

PS: I recommend you read the NE6 manual, all of it I mean. What is not written there is not supported, there are no magic tricks.
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Sep 2023, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
RemedyMusic

Post by RemedyMusic »

hi,

I'm not trying to transpose the ne6d by octave and I'm also aware of the transpose function being limited + or - 6 semitones.

I did read the manual and pretty much covered 90% of it.

What I was asking is for the octave down and up button to have an effect on the plugin currently equipped in Ableton my dear sir. :)

Thanks for the response.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

OK, so probably you need to still grasp some concepts, that"s normal coming from other keyboards as Nord has some specific approach. :)

it helps if you think of your NE6 as a master keyboard with 3 sound modules (piano, organ and synth)

The octave up down cannot have an effect on the plugin, because they don't generate any MIDI message (if you look at the manual Appendix you will not find any related CC), and anyway they only change the octave of the section intended as a receiver of note messages (from the NE6 keyboard).

Consider also this, since you have 3 independent octave buttons on each section (piano, synth and organ), how can you tell what the octave of the plugin should be of those 3?

On the Nord Stage instead, you can do that thanks to its Extern section, which is dedicated to sending MIDI to external instruments (hardware or software, no difference) and has its own Octave buttons.

Hope this makes it more clear.
Last edited by maxpiano on 02 Sep 2023, 07:11, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
RemedyMusic
RemedyMusic

Post by RemedyMusic »

That's a very neat and easy to comprehend explanation sir!

So, Nord stage can do this but the NE6d cannot? Correct?

Again thanks for the sensible explanation sir. ;)
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

I'm not so sure your explanation is true, maxpiano. The MIDI appendix of the NE6 lists organ octave shift, piano octave shift and sample synth octave shift. So, the value of those three buttons should be transmitted. Your only task should be to remap one of those CC values to what the DAW expects as octave shift.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

FZiegler wrote:I'm not so sure your explanation is true, maxpiano. The MIDI appendix of the NE6 lists organ octave shift, piano octave shift and sample synth octave shift. So, the value of those three buttons should be transmitted. Your only task should be to remap one of those CC values to what the DAW expects as octave shift.
I stand corrected then, at least partially, but still the question remains: which of the 3 to use then and based on which criteria? What if you want to change only the octave of the external instrument?
Last edited by maxpiano on 02 Sep 2023, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

This is a thing RemedyMusic will probably have to fiddle out. As I think you may want to shift the samples more often (layering them an octave above the piano e.g.), it might be a good idea to use the piano or organ buttons. But of course, you'll shift the internal sound generation at the same time.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

FZiegler wrote:This is a thing RemedyMusic will probably have to fiddle out. As I think you may want to shift the samples more often (layering them an octave above the piano e.g.), it might be a good idea to use the piano or organ buttons. But of course, you'll shift the internal sound generation at the same time.
Anyway what he was looking for is the octave shift of the whole NE6 keyboard and related MIDI data, not a CC to change the octave of the plugin' at least this is what I understood. Using the CC of the Octave up/down of a section can be a workaround but it is a different thing.
Last edited by maxpiano on 02 Sep 2023, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
FZiegler
RemedyMusic

Post by RemedyMusic »

Thanks for the inputs guys. It is rather getting complicated on my end to comprehend. LOL

Ok, I fiddled with the plugin quite a bit and found an octave shift button. I guess I have to record my midi notes one octave lower as I need those low notes.
Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at 12.15.59.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at 12.15.59.png (275.59 KiB) Viewed 847 times
See the octave function near upper right-ish

Then I came across a short tutorial on YouTube, highlighting the midi notes I want to shift octaves, pressing the combo Shift + Up/Down arrow keys, and voila! I'll get the right register/range as I intend it to be.

It has become a two-step process instead of just a push of a button on my keyboard in this example, my flimsy Kord Kross gen 1. But I would sacrifice the added procedure for a more expressive experience of recording with the NE6d. I mean, the NE6d is not hammer-weighted, but still, the keybed action and touch are miles ahead in comparison with the Korg Kross' keybed and touch.
Last edited by RemedyMusic on 03 Sep 2023, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.