C2D w/Leslie 3300 recording into DAW

The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum
coolbreeze

C2D w/Leslie 3300 recording into DAW

Post by coolbreeze »

I love the way the C2D and Leslie 3300 sound. However, I hate that I have to mic the 3300 to get the sound in my DAW. Wouldnt it be great if the 3300 could connect directly to the audio interface? Someone, please tell me this is possible!
cgrafx
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: C2D w/Leslie 3300 recording into DAW

Post by cgrafx »

You do understand that the Leslie 3300 is a speaker cabinet with an actual set of spinning speakers?

It is not an electronic effect.

If you want that sort of sound from a box you can record through directly, there are any number of Leslie simulators (like the Neo Ventilator)

If you want to record with a real Leslie then you are going to have to use microphones.
Last edited by cgrafx on 12 Aug 2023, 07:07, edited 3 times in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
coolbreeze

Post by coolbreeze »

cgrafx wrote:You do understand that the Leslie 3300 is a speaker cabinet with an actual set of spinning speakers?

It is not an electronic effect.

If you want that sort of sound from a box you can record through directly, there are any number of Leslie simulators (like the Neo Ventilator)

If you want to record with a real Leslie then you are going to have to use microphones.
Yes I understand. However, sometimes today's technology shocks me and what was impossible becomes possible. So. I thought I check amoung users to see if a magical solution has risen. In other words, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

The reason why that's not possible is that the rotary effect is the opposite of technology, it is just your ears hearing sound coming from a rotating source, and that's every bit as "analog" as there is.

The "magical" solution already exists, which is rotary cabinet simulators.
LeftyBass68
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by LeftyBass68 »

Have yet to test/audition a 3300.There's one at a local studio that also has a 122 so the B3 never sees the 'clone' box.It will mic up like any two rotor box I suspect.
Once recording,the extra DB a 3300 offers is not an advantage! In context a 122 or 147 will always 'print' proper with some good mics and placements.
Bland and totally realistic is the Neo Ventilator that can be tweaked a bit.Drive and distance 'save' the device from certain 'static' failure.Back off accel to mimic a 122 trem switch.
Does what it says,nowhere near the dimension of a mic'd up box though IMO.

One of my best sounding boxes is a 45 converted to a 2 speed with a Proline760 solid state amp(1970) installed.
Hardwood speaker baffles actually held together those awful fibreboard tolex boxes.The 45 stopped production in 1962.
This one is mahogany.
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.