Detuning the synth globally to 432

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Detuning the synth globally to 432

Post by FZiegler »

Thanks. I'm doing a lot of ad for reading the manual, too. But there are things I want to know more precisely than what the manual states. In fact, I consulted the manual before asking the question.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

Just for fun: it turns out that this nice performance from the famous TV show "House MD" played by Hugh Laurie himself has actually been adjusted to 432 Hz. Try playing along with it on 440 and it will definitely sound out of tune (starts at about 1:30).

Last edited by Hlaalu on 01 Aug 2023, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

What a pity - can't see/hear it in my country (no VPN user yet).
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

Really??? Aren't you in Germany? I thought these things were supposed to be regulated equally within the EU...
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by Schorsch »

Yes I can confirm that it does not work in Germany, only through VPN (tested with servers in Italy and UK)
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

Ah... well, we're still a long way from being "united" as Europe I guess... :crazy:
CRClemens
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by CRClemens »

Spider wrote:
Hlaalu wrote:This is not a provocative question, but I am just curious. Why do they tune their instruments to A = 432 Hz? Do they have the usual set of beliefs associated with this practice, or is there something else?
I also wonder, would anybody in the band or audience notice if one of the instruments was playing at 440? ;)
It's not such a big difference that you hear it as clearly out of tune if you're not paying attention. And even then, in the context of a large ensemble I guess that the individual detunings of each instrument/player are much more significant.
There may be multiple reasons for tuning your instrument on a lower pitch.
The first and perhaps most often mentioned one is, that the 432Hz tuning is in resonance with your body - 432 Hz music should make you more comfy.
But secondly it can change the sound of (mainly stringed) instruments. In fact the tension on pianostrings has a great impact on their partial tones. The higher the tension, the more brilliant it sounds an the the higher the inharmonicity. Low tensioned strings just sound like a clothes line ;-)
Third reason can be that some wind/brass instruments may not be tuned higher for a constructional reason. They may be also historic instruments.
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

CRClemens wrote: The first and perhaps most often mentioned one is, that the 432Hz tuning is in resonance with your body - 432 Hz music should make you more comfy.
These are the "beliefs" I was referring to earlier. Even assuming that the phrase "in resonance with one's body" is in fact intelligible to someone (and I'm sure that, to Deepak Chopra, it definitely is), I wonder what is supposed to happen if I tune my instrument to A = 432 Hz, and then never play the note A. :mrgreen:
Berretje
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Berretje »

FZiegler wrote:What a pity - can't see/hear it in my country (no VPN user yet).
House Plays Georgia On my Mind | House M.D..mp4
(23.08 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
Last edited by Berretje on 02 Aug 2023, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Berretje for the post:
FZiegler
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection[hr]
>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!
[hr]
Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper