Best Audio Interface To Record Nord Grand Into iPad?

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
Pianodrew
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Best Audio Interface To Record Nord Grand Into iPad?

Post by Pianodrew »

I’ve recently purchased a Nord Grand, and it’s the single best thing I’ve ever purchased. I have an old YouTube channel that I want to revive and would obviously like to use the Nord to record. As I don’t own a computer, the only way I’ll be able to capture the sound is if I run it into my iPad Pro and capture it with GarageBand. Can anyone tell me what the best audio interface/recording device I can get is that will enable me to do this? Thanks in advanced.
docbop
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Best Audio Interface To Record Nord Grand Into iPad?

Post by docbop »

There are tons of audio interfaces and most have a USB type output you can plug into your iPad (may or may not need an adapter).
Thing to check is if the audio interface gets it's power from the iPad because a lot if iPad's can't supply enough power for some of the audio interfaces so you definitely need to use a powered hub to supply power to audio interface. Some audio interfaces like mine has it's own power. Audio interfaces come in all price ranges and number of inputs. If you want to record stereo then you'll need an interface with two inputs. You want to make YouTube videos what are you going to use for to make the video and record it. Then app to combine the audio and video. See there are a lot of questions you need to answer. Also why you see so many people just use their smartphone to record YouTube videos and today's smartphone make great looking and sounding videos.

So you really need to think about you budget and how simple or complicated of a setup you want to use. For me personally for Zoom and making video for classes I just have a USB microphone to capture sound and the video off my iPhone.
SteveNordP3
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Post by SteveNordP3 »

Pianodrew wrote:I’ve recently purchased a Nord Grand, and it’s the single best thing I’ve ever purchased. I have an old YouTube channel that I want to revive and would obviously like to use the Nord to record. As I don’t own a computer, the only way I’ll be able to capture the sound is if I run it into my iPad Pro and capture it with GarageBand. Can anyone tell me what the best audio interface/recording device I can get is that will enable me to do this? Thanks in advanced.
“Best” is a subjective concept. Whatever meets your needs and budget “best” is likely “best”.

In my case, I recently purchased a Steinberg UR44C interface which comes with Cubasis LE (a DAW like GarageBand). I’ve been amazed at what GarageBand can accomplish. I can also use files between both DAWs and use the best features of both DAWs with the one interface. I think the sound of (particularly) Nord’s White Grand is superior to every piano app I own. Using those apps with a lighter controller for travel is satisfactory - but that Nord sound is so real - it’s all I want in any of my slower, more exposed songs with piano. But I also like to record the MIDI of the piano track first, clean up if needed, and then use that to trigger the Nord and capture its output as an audio track.

A google search for usb midi audio interfaces for iPad will give you a ton of options to consider. You can go from $50 to thousands if you like. Just depends on what you want to acccomplish. Good luck!
cookie
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by cookie »

I use the very cheap but very easy Korg Plug Key interface for all the Apple product.
Fred
docbop
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by docbop »

cookie wrote:I use the very cheap but very easy Korg Plug Key interface for all the Apple product.
Fred
Korg stopped making the Plug Key awhile ago.
StuartR
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Post by StuartR »

Pianodrew wrote:I’ve recently purchased a Nord Grand, and it’s the single best thing I’ve ever purchased. I have an old YouTube channel that I want to revive and would obviously like to use the Nord to record. As I don’t own a computer, the only way I’ll be able to capture the sound is if I run it into my iPad Pro and capture it with GarageBand. Can anyone tell me what the best audio interface/recording device I can get is that will enable me to do this? Thanks in advanced.
I've had great success with the Moto M2.