Nord Lead A1 - output amplitude weird behavior

Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions
papawise
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Nord Lead A1 - output amplitude weird behavior

Post by papawise »

Hello guys,
I'm new to the forum and also a just a recent owner of a Nord Lead A1.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows how to explain the following behavior in my A1, may be something normal or some kind of issue.

Each time I select a patch I feel like the output volume is lower than desired. Even with the Master level and the Output level at MAX.
Then If I change the Output level lowering it and then select it to the MAX again, the volumen becomes higher and proper.

Any explanation?
are the factory patches leaving some kind of headroom for the FX's or any other reason? why should I touch every time the Output pot to get maximum level?

Any advice is welcome.
Thank you
Nordlicht
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Re: Nord Lead A1 - output amplitude weird behavior

Post by Nordlicht »

The Output Level of each program is saved with the program, whereas the Master Level is globally active and not saved.
So, if a sound gets louder (or quieter) when turning the Output Level knob, this level was saved with another value. It’s normal and a feature
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
papawise
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by papawise »

-
Thanks for answering.
Nordlicht wrote:The Output Level of each program is saved with the program, whereas the Master Level is globally active and not saved...
I understand that, but are all the factory patches saved with a lower amplitude than the possible? I don't get why
I mean, can anyone confirm that the majority of the factory patches come with a lower output than 10? (the maximum possible value for output volume)
23skidoo
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Post by 23skidoo »

Yes, that's a normal thing to do. Leaving headroom for patches is professional. It also allows for some wiggle room onstage if levels need to go up a little during a particular section of a performance - there's some room to go up.

If you don't have enough gain on your inputs from the synth that's a different problem. Even at a quarter volume from both output and master you should be able to hit any level you need with input trim. I usually have my master at 50% and the output of any program anywhere from 50 to 70%, normally. Very quiet patches that use very delicate settings are the only ones that need full output level in most cases. This provides for level matching across patches from very quiet ones to very loud ones. You can only do that by turning the loud ones down, you know!
These users thanked the author 23skidoo for the post:
papawise